Slinging GP30.5 on a corner

numberwrong

Well... As always, depends on several factors... Trusses should be picked up at node points for a start.

That said, I've seen GP corners slung with PVC coated truss steels on a figure 8. The PVC obviously protects the steel from the corners.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I advocate the above method, just that I've worked with riggers who are competent enough and qualified to take into account all the influencing factors and make an informed decision about using the most appropriate method to suspend the truss.

I wouldn't have a problem with steels, I wanted to know specifically about spansets and the obvious problems with sharp(er) truss sections

Slinging trusses at node points is to prevent crushing the truss with the spanset/steel. Would a corner section not count as a node? they're pretty meaty. Unfortunately there's no info on the james thomas website.

Morning, I think depending on the load and the configuration of your hoists, then yes I have personally done this on small box trusses that have say only exhibition lights rigged on them.

The better choice dependent on your trim height and room above for motors etc, would be to bridle across the corners, I.e create an upside down bridle, for this size of truss I would use 2 x 3metre spansets wrapped at the nearest node points, (not at the end plates), then use a couple of 2 foot steels, shackles and a masterlink, this will mean that you motor will be hanging above your truss by some 3 feet, hence the extra room needed.

If you do decide to sling at the corner block then I would use a spanset rather than a steel, as it will be kinder to the corner block.

But if in doubt always consult the manufacturers data.

So there is no concern with the corner section damaging or effecting the spanset due to its sharper 'box' cords?

Are you saying that a corner section is less preferable, or should I say has a lower safe working load to a node(s) on a beam section?

Thanks

The Thomas corner blocks for GP and gate system for the Supertruss range are all structural load bearing joints/connections. if you pick them up correctly then they are just as strong as the rest of the truss system.

I suspected this... I think its time for an email to James Thomas

So there is no concern with the corner section damaging or effecting the spanset due to its sharper 'box' cords?

Its unlikely to be a problem, but if you're at all concerned about it why not just pad the corners with a bit of burlap or something?

Archived