EV sx300 gone

phil local

Hello,

I have lost the sound from the 12" driver in one of my sx300's. It's the second time it's happened and I'd rather not pay £200 + for a r-cone at the local music shop.

Looking on e-bay I came across a 12" EV re-cone kit http://tinyurl.com/7uz5sws

Firstly can I ask if anyone has had any experience/advice on using one of these kits (Is it a no-no for example?) and secondly, could there be a different reason for the total lack of action from the cone?

I'd really appreciate any help, best, Phil.

Thinking about it, the cone doesn't seem to be damaged, so, my question is, does anyone know if the driver is replaceable in one of these or ideed does anyone know what I should do in general!?

Hello,

I have lost the sound from the 12" driver in one of my sx300's. It's the second time it's happened and I'd rather not pay £200 + for a r-cone at the local music shop.

Looking on e-bay I came across a 12" EV re-cone kit http://tinyurl.com/7uz5sws

Firstly can I ask if anyone has had any experience/advice on using one of these kits (Is it a no-no for example?) and secondly, could there be a different reason for the total lack of action from the cone?

I'd really appreciate any help, best, Phil.

If the cone moves freely backwards and forwards when you push on it, place a 9V battery across the terminals and see if it moves forwards or backwards. This should see if the driver actually works. If it moves freely when pushed but not with the battery check the connections between the cone and the chassis as these could have come loose.

In the event that the driver is functioning, check the Crossover for dry joints and the cables between the crossover and the driver for continuity.

Let us know how you get on.

Josh

You say one of your SX300s.. Implying you may have another. Swap the driver with the other and this will tell you if its a driver thing or not..

Or maybe swap the whole cab and see what happens. Maybe its your amp / cable / plug / x-over / etc.

Archived