Feedback/ problem frequencies

sound-geek

Hello All,

I guess I maybe already know the answer to the question "experience" but I am looking for a starting point.

What is the best way to begin to recognise feedback/ problem frequencies when sound checking/ setting up a PA "That feedback is 1k..etc"

All and Any advice welcome

Thanks,

Ok, Are there certain problem frequencies or things to look out for? (EG 63k is always feeding back in monitors) or (1.5k always feeds back in larger rooms)? ... I know thats a little open ended but there must be reoccurring problem frequencies

Thanks,

of course you can cheat and apply a graphic that highlights the feedback frequencies.

I use this for monitors for a fast set up and as a consequence you get to know the frequencies that are feeding back. a behringer FBQ1502 works for me - picked up because I needed something for a show and though it's only 15 bands, that is acceptable for the quality I am working with in bars and pubs,

use one enough times and you get a feel for where a certain type of feedback is going to be found on the frequency line.

I also set up the monitors and mics I am going to be using for a show occasionally in my rehearsal unit, turn it up and let the graphic highlight the frequencies.

I have a certain set of cheap monitors that if they go out to a gig with me, I know they will react to SM58's at a certain couple of frequencies more than others so I often notch those frequencies down as a mental note before the gear leaves the unit and then lift and lower those frequencies to check - sometime in a particular room on a particular stage they are fine.

it's always worth playing with the mics and monitors you are using not only to see what is causing feedback but also which mics work well with which monitors in what position - it can be difficult if a performer brings their own mics with them (as happens to me a lot) but knowing what the mic is in advance can help, you can at then look up what the reception pattern for the mic is and plan to position monitors accordingly.

Archived