LED Lighting: Is it bright enough, what do you think?

danthelightingman

Long way to go. Bit of a pointless question that's been asked god knows how many times on this forum alone. If you can afford Martin, Robe, SGM lighting kit then yes they have there place. But, LED technology isn't good enough to replace everything and I'm sure it won't be for at least 5 years...

Search on the forum if your looking for some more extensive answers, it's likely this post will frustrate other forum users just because you clearly haven't searched first!

I've recently had the pleasure of working with ETC Desire D40s and it was a joy.

They are bright, they have good colour temperature (having 7 colours of LED rather than RGB), they fade nicely. They're compact, and with the right diffusion filter in front, they provided excellent even coverage.

I think the revolution is coming faster than you may think, and ETC are at the helm.

I would happily replace all scrollers with the D40. I can't stand scrollers.

My only problem was attempting to control them with the FatFrog, with the silly 'tagging' nonsense.

<Note, I do not now, nor have I ever worked for ETC!>

Yep, as I say.. there are certain manufacturer's who have hit it on the head, one of those being ETC. BUT, it'll be at least 5 years until EVERY manufacturer can solely use LED technology. Think about the disco end of the market or Am Dram.. they can't afford 40 ETC, Martin, SGM fixtures but they may be able to afford 40 budget led par cans that have horrible dimmer curves and colour temps..

So no, we still aren't in a situation where everything can be LED.

You've summed it up there Aaron. The high end stuff is pretty good but sadly we all have to work to budgets.

So Dan, you've asked for opinions - out of interest what's yours?

I think you may find you can answer the question yourself...

Would YOU light a show entirely with LED?

If the answer is yes, then so is the answer to your question (from your point of view).

If not, if you think you could reduce the budget and at the same time improve the look of the show, by using LEDs for what they're good at, but plenty of good old fashioned tungsten for what it's good at then I'd suggest it's a big fat "no" .

My opinion? When it's cheaper and looks better to go entirely LED we'll be there. I'm looking forward to it but I think we have a bit of a wait.

Moderation: As others have said, we've been over all this territory before, for example HERE. For that reason, I'll close this one and suggest you re-open one of the previous threads if you have more questions after reading through it.

Archived