Spirit LX7 sweep sound @startup

Hanuman

Dear good people, new at this forum, thank you for being here!

Got an old inexpensive Spirit LX in need of a lot of love.

Took it apart, cleaned and polished it.

Problem was (and is) up-down sweep sound at startup. L channel goes into the red (with no signal) and after 5 seconds seems to be switched off (sounds like a automatic protection switch).

Does anyone recognize the problem, encountered it before?

How to solve it?

It is 32ch version.

I think that I would be looking at the power supply first. Check and see if you have the correct nominal voltages of +17 and -17 present. The 'sweep sound' - sounds like a spurious oscillation, which could be caused by the power rails coming up unevenly - then the supply shuts down.

Check and report back.

Hello and thanks John!

Checked that. Both leds burn bright!

Tried an iPod and got level whilst holding the 2TK button in between up and down.

(Liked the EQ!)

Tried the faders in both positions (the in between and the out position)

No fader reacted (heard dirt in all sliders)

So at least that push button needs replacement.

John, is there a way of getting a mail notification of a reply?

It'll speed things up.

Thanks in advance...

Andreas

found mail notification!

Check and report back.

Any idea John? I will replace the 2TK button and take it from there.

Seems there is more then one issue, on the other hand, it makes sense that Faders do not work due to malfunction 2TK routing button....

• 6 months later...

Hi Hanuman,

You say there's no main A&B outputs. I presume you've got the groups routed to main...? If you have, it could be the main insert jacks. The sockets Soundcraft used on the LX were apt for the plastic body of the jack to split, meaning the break contacts don't always work and you lose signal. Problem is they're really hard to get at (all socket nuts off, millions of tiny screws to remove etc.)

They're horrid desks to work on, but quite nice to use when fully functioning.

Let us know how you get on.

PA

The sockets Soundcraft used on the LX were apt for the plastic body of the jack to split, meaning the break contacts don't always work and you lose signal. Problem is they're really hard to get at (all socket nuts off, millions of tiny screws to remove etc.)

Can you get around the problem by using a jack plug with tip and ring tied together, or do the splits on the sockets mean that is unreliable too?

Archived