Need Martin Magnum 1500 DMX module

dandanthelightingman

A manager at one of the venues I work at decided to buy an overpriced "as new" Martin Magnum 1500 smoke machine, despite the fact that I told him to get anything but Martin. Look, Jem, so many choices, but no.

As it came "as new", it only has the wired remote (what sort of pro product uses an RJ45 for a frequent use connector?), so I need to try and find a DMX module for it. My usual sources, and searches, have yielded nothing but "discontinued" and "out of stock".

Does anyone have one for sale, spare, or failing that a spec for the card? It connects using a 3pin PCB connector, so I'm guessing theres +5 or +12V, 0V, and a proportional out; if it's 0-10V I have a demultiplexer driving some dimmers that has spare outputs. Alternatively, bodging my own module with a generic single channel DMX card might be viable.

Any advice would be welcome, or offers of the original module!

Thanks, Dan Sanders

London, UK

This link - http://thediscdjstore.com/product/DDJ996/Martin+Magnum+1500+Professional+Smoke+Machine says they have guaranteed stock of the Magnum 1500, perhaps a call to them to see if they do the DMX card?

Have you tried Martin/Jem service department - they may be of some assistance.

...despite the fact that I told him to get anything but Martin. Look, Jem, so many choices, but no.

So you'd have been happy with the Jem Magnum 1500 here? I was of the understanding that Jem and Martin were one and the same, or very close to it,

despite the fact that I told him to get anything but Martin. Look, Jem, so many choices, but no

Martin and Jem are two brands of the same company. I'm fairly sure I've seen the Magnum range under both brands... either way it's not a bad fog machine.

Martin bought Jem about 5 years ago, though Jem did the designs for some of the Martin Magnum units prior to that.

How they decide what is branded Martin and what is Jem seems to be a bit random.

Technically they are still 2 separate companies, Jem (now Martin Manufacturing) is a UK company based in Louth, Lincs, where they still design and build the machines.

I believe the DMX module just mimics the 0-10V output of the remote, I have got a diagram for it somewhere, will have a look tomorrow.

I'm sure I have a new DMX module for the Magnum.

PM If you're intereted in doing a deal

Adrian

Added after .... forget that ... its for the Magnum 2000 ... the square one which fits in the same space the the wired remote comes out of.....

• 4 weeks later...

I was under the impression the DMX Module mimics the output of the Remote also, however with one alteration.

The remote always gives back a signal of about 1.5 / 2 volts to turn the heater circuit on. The DMX Card doesn't do this all the time, as it waits for the DMX, and then sends the control voltage for the heater to come on etc.

Might be making that bit up though, however would be easy enough to test.

Archived