Freeview boxes for events

fredfish

Hello

I'm looking to purchase an HD freeview tuner for use on events, and was wondering if anyone could suggest anything slightly more 'professional' than a standard set top box.

I can think of a load of nice to have features that don't seem to be available on the consumer oriented stuff, such as:

- The ability to control the unit remotely without having to trawl through the on screen menu system (I've seen units with ethernet ports, but these all seem to be for streaming content from a server rather than for control)

- Unencrypted digital video out (i.e. not fussy about HDCP compliant displays) on HDMI or HD-SDI

- HD Component Video out

Any other features such as rackmount ears, balanced audio outs etc. would also be great.

We have a couple of Humax Freesat HD Boxes which are good, because you can get HD component video out, but their freeview offering doesn't seem to be the same.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Would a PCI-Express tuner into something such as screen monkey (or other industry software) to allow control on one screen and output on another be an option? Output on any format you can have on a graphics card then and can use it just like any other input into a media server giving added benefits of being able to manipulate the content too.

Josh

You could have a look at boxes intended for off-air monitoring in broadcast TV. My experience has been in radio rather than TV but in that environment they had rather more professional tuners intended for use in that environment. They won't be cheap but they'll have the right connectivity and a few more useful features. You'll certainly never get SDI on consumer grade kit. Or HDMI without copy protection.

Thanks for two good ideas.

I came across These guys: http://frontniche.co.uk/pdf/Modified-Humax-HD-Freeview-STB-with-3G-HDSDI-Embedded-Audio.pdf

They make precisely what I'm after, but as you said Shez, you certainly pay for it! do you have any other manufacturer's you could recommend?

I hadn't thought about a PCI card, potentially much cheaper as we could re use a lot of hardware we have already. Again, does anyone have a particular model in mind?

If you want a full on Pro Tuner, they are out there, you will just be quite expensive, probably in the region of £2k. you do get HD SDI out on them you'll be pleased to hear! I am sure I borrowed sky boxes from sky for an event which had the HDCP stripped off but cant recall definitively.

DVB-T2 Decoders like these.

http://www.dvbgear.com/receivers/TLV400S_dvb-s2_dvb-t_8vsb_mpeg-2_h.264_receiver_decoder

or

http://www.advanceddigital.ca/products/receivers_decoders/be-ird-5502_h264_mpeg2_hd_sd_ird/

I am sure I borrowed sky boxes from sky for an event which had the HDCP stripped off but cant recall definitively.

They certainly do exist, again http://www.frontniche.com/ make them and then apparently sell them back to sky (who of course have the same practical problems with HDCP as the rest of us!)

I think we will go for two solutions for different applications. Firstly an ordinary consumer box for jobs where standard def is acceptable, or for when we only need one display and we can maintain the HDCP link.

Secondly a small format PC with an internal tuner card and a digital output graphics card for jobs where distributing HD signal would be desirable and for getting the best possible quality in to a switcher.

I have used Frontniche products, they can be expensive but they do what they say they do. Not sure if you can have off screen menu's. We have had additional outputs etc put on. They also rebox most products into a 19" chassis, which can be useful.

On the more consumer front, Samsung TVs have an Ethernet port you can use for remote control, I don't know if they do PVRs or something with enough of the smarts to have that built into something that recieves Freeview, but it might be worth a look.

Canford sell a range of Active Rack Shelves to do the balanced audio bit and the mounting. If you could find a box that outputs HD component and add a converter, that might be a cheaper route than the custom/modded boxes.

On a slight side note, if your looking around this area, I've never used them personally, but this looks ideal for Sky box remote control.

I don't have experience of the products listed, but I believe a number of 'pro' receivers (used in broadcast as check rxs etc) are actually just sky boxes re-housed with proper controls and psus which don't die after five mins. If you just want a rx and don't mind about the controls then find a decent consumer box (or two) and couple it with some converters, however if you need to change channels remotely then I think that http://www.ipe-systems.co.uk/ have a solution, but I can't find details on their site.

Kris

Cardwise I'm running a hauppauge Nova T 500 and a Nova S2. The server I'm running is an ancient twin CPU Xeon box, but I've hit 120 days uptime with full reliability.

The cheaper tuners can be a bit hit and miss so it's worth spending on the Hauppauge stuff.

Archived