Cables to Boardroom table

TomHoward

Evening all

We have a boardroom table (in the centre of a room) which we are hoping to get power and 8x ethernet into, and VGA and audio out of. The floor is a 150mm concrete slab.

I'm looking into whether we can channel and fit floor boxes, but if anybody has any innovative ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

We could also go upwards into the suspended ceiling, but I can't think of a way to do that neatly either.

Evening all

We have a boardroom table (in the centre of a room) which we are hoping to get power and 8x ethernet into, and VGA and audio out of. The floor is a 150mm concrete slab.

I'm looking into whether we can channel and fit floor boxes, but if anybody has any innovative ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

We could also go upwards into the suspended ceiling, but I can't think of a way to do that neatly either.

I take it wireless networking is not an option? What about a wireless access point on the wall, and a network bridge point built into (underneath) the table, with a hub and wires splitting out from there?

Combine this with a wireless VGA sender/receiver, and wireless audio sender/receiver, a four-way, and you only have to worry about one power lead.

Always a problem that.

I can think of ways to cut down the cable requirements, but not to eliminate them and coming from above is usually a non starter for visual reasons in these things, so either a floor box or just possibly go with a raised floor in that area (it can sometimes be easier then butchering the concrete slab).

If the fire compartmentalization is not too much of an issue, could you be able to get the slab diamond core drilled under the middle of the table and come up from the room below (a suspended ceiling may be your friend there).

One for a structural engineer at that point of course.

Regards, Dan.

Going through the floor would be an option, although we would probably have to do it twice as the services need to be back in that room - the room below has cable trays and ducting over the ceiling so not much of a problem there.

Wireless would be an option, but I'd prefer to keep it wired if we find a reasonable way to do it

Archived