Splitter boxes

fuller

Hi,

I'm trying to buy a splitter box and I cant seem to find anywhere in the uk that sells them, does anyone know of anywhere? it would be a great help.

What I ideally want is a 16 way splitter, with 1 set of parrallel outs, and one set of isolated outs, and also I'd rather have one where it has two multicores coming out of it, rather than XLR sockets, and the cables only need to be about 3m each!

I know I'm not gonna that exactly but anything close would be nice.

cheers for any help!

I'd rather have one where it has two multicores coming out of it, rather than XLR sockets

So you don't want those rack units like the BSS one's or the Thomann Ones?

Fair enough, I don't blame you.

I would try these two companies:

VDC Trading - 0207 7702777 - www.vdctrading.co.uk (I think that's the site address, otherwise there's a dash between vdc & trading). The website is actually being updated at present, so I think phone is the only option at present.

VDC specialize in custom made cable solutions.

THe other company is Bryant Broadcast - I'm not sure of their contact details, but I guess a simple google search on "Bryant Broadcast" will get you there. I think they have a similar mission to vdc.

I don't think that this kinda unit will be cheap.

Hope this helps.

It'd be good to hear how you get on.

What I ideally want is a 16 way splitter, with 1 set of parrallel outs, and one set of isolated outs, and also I'd rather have one where it has two multicores coming out of it, rather than XLR sockets, and the cables only need to be about 3m each!

What's the application?

Do you really need the isolated outs?

They'll make it expensive.

Peter

thanks for all your help, its taking a split for doing live recordings, I might manage to do without the isoolated ones, I'll see how much more expensive it makes it! what are these bss ones?theres no splitters on their website (not that I could find?!)

If its for recording of a gig, you would want a three way split, one for FOH, Mons and one for recording. If you are recording a gig, then I expect you are using at least 48ch multicore?

That I beleive is going to be expensive!

Otherwise take an AUX out of the FOH desk into an 8 track or a CD player etc - depending on what you are doing of course. Or you COULD take a split out of L&R out from the FOH desk.

re: 16 way split

thanks for all your help, its taking a split for doing live recordings, I might manage to do without the isoolated ones, I'll see how much more expensive it makes it! what are these bss ones?theres no splitters on their website (not that I could find?!)

At a guess you won't want 4 bss splitters @500 quid each making your splitter 2000 quid before you even start to buy cable, connectors and a nice flight case to put your pricey new purchases into.

Luckily, there might be a better way to go...

Answer the following simple quiz questions and I reckon we can come up with a somewhat more cost effective solution. At a guess it will probably be more useful as well.

Is the splitter to be part of a complete system (foh,monitors,record) of your own or are you trying to integrate your recording gear into other people's different pa systems?

If it's your complete system, what does it consist of?

If it's to integrate seamlessly and almost invisibly into whatever todays pa company has brought in then what sort of level of equipment do you generally end up working with? Little powered self contained mixer, mid range 16 channel jobby with monitors from foh or full blown grown up desks at foh and monitors type affair? You get the idea.

Are you going direct into a multitrack recorder? What is it?

Give us more details and let's get your splitter sorted!

Hope to help,

Peter.

(Guess who is sat at home with too much time on their hands enjoying the quiet season)

Big money required here!

One trick I use quite regularly with my own kit is to use inserts on the foh desk - I've got the first 24 channels on a 32 ch desk wired to a remote 19" patchbay with proper in/outs. It's hard wired at the rear, with a split on the insert out from the desk - this permanently feeds an Alesis HD24. Works great. I've got the inserts wired pre-eq which is pretty important when you wire like this. My multis have a straight parallel split at the stage end for the monitor desk. I wired it with XLR-m and XLR-f simply because the cost of one harting plug and socket is prety steep, let alone having two of them. Edacs are much cheaper, but experience is making me replaces my Edacs with hartings every time one gets damaged.

What I ideally want is a 16 way splitter, with 1 set of parrallel outs, and one set of isolated outs

If its for recording of a gig, you would want a three way split, one for FOH, Mons and one for recording. If you are recording a gig, then I expect you are using at least 48ch multicore?

londonjim, it might be an idea to read the post properly before making comments like this, when it was clearly stated that a 16ch, 2 way splitter was required.

:)

Simple passive splits are easy to make from three XLRs and a ~100Ohm resistor. I did this recently to run mics to monitors and FOH:-

Mic-------------->Split Arm one---------->Centre (connected to FOH)---------->Split Arm two (to monitor) with 100Ohm resistor on the shield to prevent loops.

Simple passive splits are easy to make from three XLRs and a ~100Ohm resistor. I did this recently to run mics to monitors and FOH:-

Mic-------------->Split Arm one---------->Centre (connected to FOH)---------->Split Arm two (to monitor) with 100Ohm resistor on the shield to prevent loops.

The Warehouse in edinburgh (Warehouse) have a nice splitter withmulti in and 2 splits out, one of which can be further split from MAS to CEEP and then as CEEP tailsets into desk

we used it last eyar to acheive monitors, recording and FOH. Admittedlky it was monitor desk at FOH, so made slightly easier, but still. it fed three desks

Archived