Amplifiers and power rating

preciseaudioltd

Hopefully somebody can clarify something for me please?

If you have an ampifier that is rated at 475 watts per channel at 8 Ohms and 800 watts per channel at 4 Ohms and you are powering two speakers linked together which are 8 ohms each you are sharing the 800 watts available between the two speakers i.e. 400 watts is going to each speaker.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully somebody can clarify something for me please?

If you have an ampifier that is rated at 475 watts per channel at 8 Ohms and 800 watts per channel at 4 Ohms and you are powering two speakers linked together which are 8 ohms each you are sharing the 800 watts available between the two speakers i.e. 400 watts is going to each speaker.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Only when the amplifier is driven to its maximum output. Amplifiers don't actually deliver their rated output power until the point where they clip. Most of the time they are delivering a small fraction of that power. A mere 3dB (the smallest easy to hear level difference) below that 400W maximum your amp will be delivering 200W. 10dB below that 400W is about 40W. Way more attention gets paid to amplifier power than it deserves.

Mac

Archived