BSS DPR 402 / 404 COMPRESSORS

srp7

Hi There

Since my previous post, I am leaning towards getting a used BSS DPR 404 compressor but am slightly concerned that this unit does not have full manual control over the attack and release settings relying solely on automation. Part of me is thinking that this does make life much easier when doing your own mixes but does this not limit this unit? How good is this BSS unit really?

I realize that it has almost become the industry standard for high end live and studio use so perhaps should accept its pedigree!

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had first hand experience of this unit (or the DPR 402).

Many thanks as usual :)

STEVE

Morning,

Before switching over to digital boards (convenience, size, cost, transportation etc) we used 402s and 404 mainly.

I cannot comment on the automation side of it as we used them in a live situation, which required no automation, but from a sound point of view they were wonderful.

We did also use drawmer comps aswell, and all I can say is that both behaved differently for different things.

I personally preffered 404, 402 (402 was my choice) but its down to the individual I think.

I always found them reliable, faithful to the audio passing through them, the 404 has a de esser in it which worked very well indeed.

402 was obviously more advanced in terms of control (attack, release, hard/soft knee) and for vocals I would have used a 402 without doubt.

for percussion, bass I tended to bung those on a 404.

If you can pick up a 402 id say good luck as long as the price is right,

what with there age you could find issues like the lamps going in the big red buttons, or noisy pots.

could be worth getting it serviced before putting it in service so to speak.

there are plenty of other comps out there, drawmers are quite usable,

all depends on your choice.

Good luck

D

Hi There

Since my previous post, I am leaning towards getting a used BSS DPR 404 compressor but am slightly concerned that this unit does not have full manual control over the attack and release settings relying solely on automation. Part of me is thinking that this does make life much easier when doing your own mixes but does this not limit this unit? How good is this BSS unit really?

I realize that it has almost become the industry standard for high end live and studio use so perhaps should accept its pedigree!

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had first hand experience of this unit (or the DPR 402).

STEVE

I recently did a festival and had around 5 minutes to check a large 7 piece band with 6 vocals. I would say sometimes less is more, I had a full comp re-patch from the festival patch so had to change all the setting on the comps very fast. they had a couple of 404's, as do many venues.

I had 6 comps in stereo groups linked up (Drums, Guitars, Vocals) and bass comp (52&57)

in that senario, I relish the facts I on had to worry about 2knobs for each channel (and no I haven't forgotten about the de-esser, but with 1 minute before shot time and 6 different vocalist, I had to guestimate!)

so, my two cents: if you have all the time in the world to sound check, touring, or your just plain well off, get something with more parameters, perhaps get a combination of different things, the one thing I would say about DPR's is that I find they don't sound THAT great on vocals, but thats just me.

BUT: if you do alot of festivals, or shows where your jumping on the desk very close to show time and it's all analog, they can be a life saver!

hi Tony

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - it is very much appreciated.

I find it is so useful to hear from people like yourself who have first-hand experience of these different units.

Kindest regards

STEVE

I recently did a festival and had around 5 minutes to check a large 7 piece band with 6 vocals. I would say sometimes less is more, I had a full comp re-patch from the festival patch so had to change all the setting on the comps very fast. they had a couple of 404's, as do many venues.

I had 6 comps in stereo groups linked up (Drums, Guitars, Vocals) and bass comp (52&57)

in that senario, I relish the facts I on had to worry about 2knobs for each channel (and no I haven't forgotten about the de-esser, but with 1 minute before shot time and 6 different vocalist, I had to guestimate!)

so, my two cents: if you have all the time in the world to sound check, touring, or your just plain well off, get something with more parameters, perhaps get a combination of different things, the one thing I would say about DPR's is that I find they don't sound THAT great on vocals, but thats just me.

BUT: if you do alot of festivals, or shows where your jumping on the desk very close to show time and it's all analog, they can be a life saver!

Thanks D

I really appreciate your considered reply to my query - most helpful. I was originally looking at the 402s but I am slightly short of rack space so hence thinking about a 4-channel option within 1U. BSS 402's also seem to be more readily available on the used market than 404s as well Most advise I have had including yours now seems to lean toward 402s / 404s for vocal duties as they seem more natural and transparent.

I have looked at the Drawmer units which seem to be cheaper on the used market, but have heard they can be a bit aggressive plus they don't have a de-esser which is going to be very useful on vocals.

As you probably know, neither of these units are made any more so I have approached many hire companies to see if they have any 402s or 404s but they seem as rare as rocking horse doo doos at the moment!!! If you happen to hear of any for sale by any chance, I would really appreciate a shout!

Many thanks again for your time.

Kindest regards

STEVE

Morning,

Before switching over to digital boards (convenience, size, cost, transportation etc) we used 402s and 404 mainly.

I cannot comment on the automation side of it as we used them in a live situation, which required no automation, but from a sound point of view they were wonderful.

We did also use drawmer comps aswell, and all I can say is that both behaved differently for different things.

I personally preffered 404, 402 (402 was my choice) but its down to the individual I think.

I always found them reliable, faithful to the audio passing through them, the 404 has a de esser in it which worked very well indeed.

402 was obviously more advanced in terms of control (attack, release, hard/soft knee) and for vocals I would have used a 402 without doubt.

for percussion, bass I tended to bung those on a 404.

If you can pick up a 402 id say good luck as long as the price is right,

what with there age you could find issues like the lamps going in the big red buttons, or noisy pots.

could be worth getting it serviced before putting it in service so to speak.

there are plenty of other comps out there, drawmers are quite usable,

all depends on your choice.

Good luck

D

Hi There

STEVE

Archived