Best Rigging Courses

JoshFlack

Hi Guys,

Im trying to decide which is better to go for, some people iv spoken to have said rope access, and some have said NRC.

I'm working in a venue that needs me to look after the trussing, but that access points for the truss are not readily available, and really require rope access.

Also, if anyone know of places where you can get these course done. Iv come across UK Rigging, but if anyone know of anywhere else, please PM or post about it.

Thanks guys

Josh

Hi Josh,

Just be aware that the NRC is not a course as such... It's a programme developed to give you a qualification at the end of it, however part of the assessment is getting experience as a rigger and show proof of this. 3 days training at Total fabs or uk rigging isn't experience thats able to count towards your NRC. I'm not so up to speed with IRATA, but I was under the impression that a lot of the IRATA course has got nothing to do with the industry.

Also, what do you mean by looking after the trussing? It could entail a lot of different things which could ultimately depend on what you need to do for the training.

Cheers,

James

The NRC is not a training course but a test of knowledge. if you want rigging courses then I would look at these tow

Total Solutions Group - Chris Higgs in Birmingham

UK Rigging - Harry Box/Vicki Box

These two courses are really very very good.

TM

ps. whilst you dont need IRATA in our industry and you prob wont use it at all. It is a very worth while course to do at some point. It has lots of transferable skills and teaches you useful things like rescue etc.

TM

Josh - are you sure the points are only accessible by Rope Access? It is quite uncommon for points to only be accessable by rope access, I was under the impression that the Grand had catwalks.

I have sent you a CV in the past for freelancers, I am more than happy to come in and do anything you want rigging wise. If I'm honest, immediately after taking a 3-day rigging course you probably won't be in a position where you're safe to be handing the venue's rigging yourself. The courses offered (below) are aimed at giving you an introduction into entertainment rigging, so that you can go and work as a "Level 1" (trainee) rigger for a rigging company, and build up the experience to take your NRC qualification.

In London, Mark Armstrong and Oz Marsh (both well respected riggers and NRC assessors) run their company "Safe Working Limited" and offer rigging courses from the Warwick Suite at Earls Court and various venues further south. Other options include, as previously mentioned, Chris Higgs' course at Total in Brum, and Harry Box's course at UK in Bolton. It's actually worth seeing which one might be best for you - whilst the content is the same, the different courses have different teaching environments and you may find one suits you more than another. For instance - UK (and I believe, Total) teach on beams where you'll learn how to walk on beams and work from them; whilst Mark often teaches in theatres with traditional theatre grids (whilst I think the Warwick has a ground support). In your venue, having learned in a theatre may be of more use than having learned on beams - I don't know.

But do understand that the NRC is not a course and is not a "attend to pass" qualification. It is a tough pass or fail qualification that is gained through a process of training - work experience - written assessment - practical assessment. Level 2 riggers are considered to be ready to work independently so unless you are working regularly at a rigging company, you are unlikely to progress from the course into your NRC assessment any time soon. They reckon a year full timing is about right - though it really depends on what you do in that year, so it's only a loose figure.

IRATA is purely rope acces and will probably teach you a lot of things which you don't need to know. A lot of people taking the IRATA qualification will be doing so to work on oil rigs, skyscrapers, phone masts etc. Places that really rely on extensive use of ropes. Doing a full IRATA course is likely to be a bit of excess if all you need to do is abseil onto the points periodically. There are probably cut-down 1-day rope access courses you could take which will give you the skills you need if you do need to abseil onto your points. But since points are typically attached to structures, and structures can typically be climbed on or around, I would think there are likely to be ways to access your points without the need for rope access.

Also I think it's just worth raising a quick point now.

If the only route to the points is rope access, then I would assume the only means of rescue from the points is also - rope access. As such, if you are considering going there yourself, you will need to have another technician trained in rope rescue to ensure that your rescue plan is actionable.

Devising rescue plans within a rigging operation is a course in itself, which you can take, but I just thought I'd warn you it may not be as simple as you want it to be (IE go up there, abseil down, move it, done). There needs to be a rescue plan in place with qualified people to action the rescue plan if it is required. These individuals should also have experience in it - IE whilst the IRATA course does train in rope rescue, the Level 1 qualification only qualifies you as a 'trainee', and they recommend that Level 1s do not work without a Level 2 or 3 supervisor - a qualification which can only be gained through Rope Access experience, and hours logged at work. As such, it may prove difficult for you to instate a safe and comprehensive height rescue plan for the work which you intend to do.

If your venue utilises fixed points (IE you're not up there every show moving the points around), why not just leave them be, and get a rigging company in once or twice a year (your responsibility to determine how often - PUWER) to inspect the points. Rigging Services are very close to you and would, I'm sure, be happy to send somebody over for the day to check the integrity of everything and maintain an inspection record.

From what I can gather about the Grand and the points you have up there, unless you do regularly move them for different shows, I wouldn't think there is much requirement for you to undertake much training for working up at the points, since they shouldn't be involved in the day to day operation. All you really need do is inspect the trusses, motors, motor chains and the lifting accessories for wear, damage and deformation as part of your pre-use checks. The manufacturers of your truss and hoists should usually be happy to provide training or guidance on how to do day-to-day inspections and maintenance of your equipment. You have paid for it, after all. Any checking points, anchors etc should be done by a competent person - a status which requires more than a course to reach. For the sake of safety, and covering your own back, I would recommend here that you contact an external contractor to come in and perform that work.

I'm working in a venue that needs me to look after the trussing, but that access points for the truss are not readily available, and really require rope access.

Do you really mean roped access, or are you talking about the use of fall-arrest PPE and equipment? (Not quite the same thing.)

Really, the ideal would be to make the difficult access go away. (For example by investing in some new bit of infrastructure, or access equipment.) Are you aware of the so-called 'heirarchy of controls'? There's a brief mention of it on page three of this HSE pdf. There's a fair bit of good info about the Work at Height Regulations on t'internet, when I've got a bit more time I'll try to look out a link something more illuminating.

Regarding regulations and blah blah blah, what your venue needs is for this kind of work to be undertaken by a 'competent person'. Training is always good, but if you don't already have a good deal of experience there's no way a short course in general rigging is going to turn you into that person. If there is a particular method required at the venue you have in mind, something more site-specific might be a better bet - perhaps it would be worth thinking about bringing someone in to look at what you have. If you don't already have a method statement, you really need to start by talking to someone who can help you to devise, and document, the method. Chris Higgs is the first name to spring to mind, but there are others I could recommend.

I'm inclined to agree with B-G, that it might be better to identify when you need a 'proper' rigger and bring someone in on those occasions. I have a couple of suggestions for you, I'll drop you a PM..

Total Solutions Group - Chris Higgs in Birmingham

UK Rigging - Harry Box/Vicki Box

These two courses are really very very good.

That they are. They're essentially the same course, so its really just a question of which is the more convenient time/location. Both courses take place in the NRC assessment centres - very nice, well thought out training facilities.

Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned so far is this course: clicky

Its a two day course (as opposed to the three day Brum/Bolton course), and overnight accommodation is included. (LS-Live have built a 'hotel' at their studio - its really quite nice.)

If you really want training in roped-access techniques, I would suggest having a chat with Roger at Heightec. (You could drop him a PM, he posts here occasionally as Riddle.)

But do understand that the NRC is not a course and is not a "attend to pass" qualification. It is a tough pass or fail qualification that is gained through a process of training - work experience - written assessment - practical assessment. Level 2 riggers are considered to be ready to work independently ...

Without wishing to derail the thread, a niggle:

This is broadly correct, but the NRC is not a "tough pass or fail" qualification. See here: "What is the NRC? ...blah blah... The NRC measures the minimum core requirements of someone working at a particular level and role." It means what it says, the assessment is really very simple and straightforward. Level 2 riggers are considered merely ready to work as riggers. This might mean 'independently' in the sense that they're not under direct close supervision, but being the only rigger working on a gig is a different game. In many ways putting two points in a little venue on your tod is more demanding (and certainly requires more knowledge, experience and maturity) than working as part of a team to put a hundred or more points into a large arena.

B-G makes a good point about the requirement for a rescue-plan, if undertaking roped access work (or using fall-arrest or work-positioning techniques), but another minor niggle:

Devising rescue plans within a rigging operation is a course in itself, which you can take...

Devising (and, god forbid, executing) a rescue plan is, again, something that needs to be done by a 'competent person'. Competence, as the phrase goes, 'arises out of training, knowledge and experience'. There are courses available, but you cannot become that 'competent person' by formal training alone.

But do understand that the NRC is not a course and is not a "attend to pass" qualification. It is a tough pass or fail qualification that is gained through a process of training - work experience - written assessment - practical assessment. Level 2 riggers are considered to be ready to work independently ...

Without wishing to derail the thread, a niggle:

This is broadly correct, but the NRC is not a "tough pass or fail" qualification. See here: "What is the NRC? ...blah blah... The NRC measures the minimum core requirements of someone working at a particular level and role." It means what it says, the assessment is really very simple and straightforward. Level 2 riggers are considered merely ready to work as riggers. This might mean 'independently' in the sense that they're not under direct close supervision, but being the only rigger working on a gig is a different game. In many ways putting two points in a little venue on your tod is more demanding (and certainly requires more knowledge, experience and maturity) than working as part of a team to put a hundred or more points into a large arena.

Appreciated, but I think that the NRC is tough enough to weed out those who are not of a standard where they could walk into a rigging company and begin work efficiently. I think you would very much struggle to walk straight off a course and into an NRC, not least because of the paperwork requirement in advance to prove your experience, but also that it is a judgement of your practices which come with time. You need to do something regularly to be able to recall the skills properly, doing them once under instruction would probably not suffice for the practical assessment. I do know of a number of decent riggers who have failed their level 2s... albeit usually because they didn't read the book.

I think you should remember that due to your err "seniority" (nice way of calling you old), you were able to learn, practice and become competent in rigging before the NRC was really devised. So by the time it came around, you were ready to go into an assessment centre and breeze through it and laugh at it's ease. New riggers coming into the business, however, who will struggle to get the work without their NRC, will likely be pushed into assessment centres not as ready as you were, and will find it a "tough pass or fail qualification".

I completely agree that installing a small rig in a venue is 'higher level' than doing a 200-point arena tour. Definitely. Because the individual responsibility involved is increased, the information you PERSONALLY require is increased, and so on. Only this week I have been in an old theatre roof where motor rigging was recently added by a small productions company with a 'rigging department', and it's a terrible job. Most things you could do wrong, have been done. Result of using people with a bit of knowledge, rather than people with experience and competency.

In case it was confusing, my point was not "once you've got your Level 2, you can start doing your own venue rigging". My point was simply, "doing a 3-day rigging course doesn't make you a rigger, but passing your NRC, in the eyes of PLASA anyway, DOES." Being a rigger though, in itself is not enough to necessarily take on the venue requirements alone. It just means that you are able to perform rigging activities as a professional, which, at least in the initial stages, is probably as you say, sticking a couple hundred points in the roof of an arena; not undertaking venue work independently.

B-G makes a good point about the requirement for a rescue-plan, if undertaking roped access work (or using fall-arrest or work-positioning techniques), but another minor niggle:

Devising rescue plans within a rigging operation is a course in itself, which you can take...

Devising (and, god forbid, executing) a rescue plan is, again, something that needs to be done by a 'competent person'. Competence, as the phrase goes, 'arises out of training, knowledge and experience'. There are courses available, but you cannot become that 'competent person' by formal training alone.

Well, the full quote includes:

There needs to be a rescue plan in place with qualified people to action the rescue plan if it is required. These individuals should also have experience in it

Which, whilst not using the key phrase "competent person", does basically say the same thing as your niggle!

Anyway, my point remains: If you need to rope access something in your venue, DON'T just do a course and start working. You as an individual won't have the necessary competency to undertake work in this manner, and furthermore, you won't have the competent technicians behind you to ensure your safe rescue. If it is rigging work you need, call in a rigging company and get them to do it. They will provide a record of their work which acts as proof of the work being performed and also may remove some or all of your liability in the event that a defect in their work causes an accident. Venue Rigging is big, heavy and ugly. There is really no need to get involved at an individual level if you are not completely competent in doing so.

You need to sort your own safety first. And you can't be doing any work at height unless you have actionable plans in place to protect and rescue you in the event of an accident occurring. This is why it is best just to get a contractor in who has the training, qualification and above all competency to implement and use such rescue plans in the event of an incident. There is no point in putting yourself at risk to save a few bob or just for keeping things "in house".

Archived