Need advise

he1ios

Hi All, I'm a freelance LD for corporate shows and have found myself a little out of my element. I have a gig coming up which I must spec video gear for and need some advise. My production company will be supplying 3 - Christie WU-12k projectors to fill a 20 x 60 , ( and slightly curved) screen. I planned tofront project and blend the three projectors but after seeing another similar projection today I'm getting worried that just three may not be enough.

The projection I saw today was a 18' x 60' screen but the video guys who did it used two sets of three(converged) 18k projectors.

Am I totally underpowering my screen? do I need to insist on doubling up on projector power and if so is should I be converging two sets of three projectors or converging three sets of two projectors?

As always with these things it depends entirely on the ambient light level. You'd be looking at very different projectors if the event was in daylight hours in the lobby of a glass-fronted building as opposed to a fully blacked-out venue with no spill whatsoever on the screens.

As always with these things it depends entirely on the ambient light level. You'd be looking at very different projectors if the event was in daylight hours in the lobby of a glass-fronted building as opposed to a fully blacked-out venue with no spill whatsoever on the screens.

Thanks for the feedback. No, this is just in a normal, large GS. After thinking about it I'm not so worried due to your comments and the fact that the setup I saw had a stage covered with Marley. The stage wash was undoubtedly going to bounce up and hit the screen and the video engineers saw it coming like a freight train so they tripled up on the projector power.

@ ScottishCol Of course, come on over. We'll go to the after party, the before party and a few more in between! ! !

:D

For 20ft high - might be a tad underpowered. I gather it is a 60x20 (width x height is generally how you would write it out) - oftherwise it is a bloody tall screen.

I would suggest that 3x18k's would be better.

That said - I did a 111x20.1 with 3 Barco SLM-R12+'s. It was not BAM! - but as a backdrop it was fine. We flew two additional projectors which actually did the PIPs for this particular show.

Sounds like I may be just borderline of needing to bump it up.

Thanks

For 20ft high - might be a tad underpowered. I gather it is a 60x20 (width x height is generally how you would write it out) - oftherwise it is a bloody tall screen.

I would suggest that 3x18k's would be better.

That said - I did a 111x20.1 with 3 Barco SLM-R12+'s. It was not BAM! - but as a backdrop it was fine. We flew two additional projectors which actually did the PIPs for this particular show.

Archived