Video over cat 5

Joe Bleasdale

I'm working on a future project which isn't particularly high budget. I'll have a Media Server onstage outputting 2 DVI feeds to various video devices. However I need to be able to see and use its user interface from FOH. I need to have touchscreen, mouse, keyboard and a spare USB FOH to control the admin of the server and upload media. Moving the server isn't an option, and adding an extra networked server also isn't an option.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap KVM type piece of kit that can send 1 DVI and 3 USBs over Cat5/5e running 30/40m. Budget is probably a few hundred quid, definitely no more than £500.

Anyone got any products that spring to mind..?

Thanks.

Would a VNC style solution work? That's what I'm going to be using on my system in the new year. On a well spec'd system the performance hit is negligible and on a wired network it's more than fast enough. I'm just using RealVNC at the moment.

Failing that, does it have to be one Cat5? DVI over Cat5 systems can be found commonly as Can a single USB over Cat5 (which can then have a Hub Attached at FOH)

USB over Cat5 when combined with a USB hub should do the job nicely.

DVI over Cat5

Josh

Archived