DMX Drop Box

CharlieH

@TheKid: Somebody will shoot into the ceiling, and we want sugar glass to fall from the grid when this happens, along with sound and lighting cues to portray realism (our chosen practitioner is Stanislavski).

Without wanting to be /that guy/ I think you really need to run PRECISELY what you're doing past your teacher - dropping glass (sugar or otherwise) from the grid to the floor is a massive risk with some very serious complications (broken glass will spray out to cover the stage, requiring extra clean-up work; it's very heavy and if it were to fall at the wrong time on to one of the actors would do some damage, broken glass exploding/spraying everywhere is not a good thing, etc) as in a time when schools won't let students climb a ladder or re-wire a plug I'd be very surprised if they were happy for you to drop heavy (glass) objects from the air.

FYI as a fun project to learn about how electronics work this has some merit but as an actual device for theatre use it's a folly - both financially and because the complications it adds far outweigh the benefits it brings. As long as you're aware of that then whether you make it or not is up to you.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1325097749[/url]' post='421718']

From some of the good posts on this topic you might have figured a solenoid is probably going to be your best bet. The only real tricky bit would be turning your DMX signal into a power source to power the solenoid.

I have decided to not do DMX from a safety aspect, but I have just ordered the bits to make it using a standard push switch. This will power a solenoid latch, which will release the flap. The switch will be connected using a 50m 2 core cable terminated in banana plugs, but this can be extended as necessary. I'll take some pictures of it one it's made and upload them.

Let me know if you need any more information. While I'm happy to walk you through making one you might want to do some research on a few topics first e.g AC/DC Power, Relays, DMX, Solenoids, Transformers.

Since deciding on the project I have already researched a lot into relays and solenoids, and am reasonably comfortable with the data makeup of DMX, transformers etc but I wil,l have a good google as and when I reach a gap in my knowledge :) I may well PM you for advice, thanks for the offer!

1325101203[/url]' post='421721']

Without wanting to be /that guy/ I think you really need to run PRECISELY what you're doing past your teacher - dropping glass (sugar or otherwise) from the grid to the floor is a massive risk with some very serious complications (broken glass will spray out to cover the stage, requiring extra clean-up work; it's very heavy and if it were to fall at the wrong time on to one of the actors would do some damage, broken glass exploding/spraying everywhere is not a good thing, etc) as in a time when schools won't let students climb a ladder or re-wire a plug I'd be very surprised if they were happy for you to drop heavy (glass) objects from the air.

The teacher has okayed it in theory, but obviously we will see how big a safe zone we need once the box is rigged and we have tested it with some glass. I have spoken to the cats already about being on their marks for this scene, otherwise I won't trigger the drop, but I will reinforce this with them again once it is rigged. I will also speak to the H&S exec at school about it, but everyone has been fine with my plan so far.

1325101203[/url]' post='421721']

FYI as a fun project to learn about how electronics work this has some merit but as an actual device for theatre use it's a folly - both financially and because the complications it adds far outweigh the benefits it brings. As long as you're aware of that then whether you make it or not is up to you.

If it is not that useful in theatre then so be it. A least I will have learned from it, and it will look good in my Supporting Notes (as discussed above). But thanks for prewarning me :)

Archived