ETC - ION Rem dim next thing..?

northern-monkey

Hello all

Guna have to admit to not being the most clued up user of an ION desk however after much trawling through the internet I can't seem to find anyone one else who's asked the question.

Our Uni recently upgraded our ION desk which is all well and good. However we now can't get the desk to flash through the channels like it used to. Before the update we could rem dim the channels and then by pressing next it would move through the channels flashing them up for checks. It was a really usful shortcut however since the upgrade we can't get it to work. Our uni lecturer doesn't use the desk much either so hasn't had chance to try and find out! Anybody know the correct syntax or if it's a setting that we need to re-enable!

Cheers!

Which software version have you upgraded from and too?

For the last tour I've had an Ion running v1.9.8, for which I would use either ChanCheck or RemDim depending on the scenario etc. If you are keen to use RemDim if you have the rest of the rig on, then

[1] [Full] [RemDim] [Enter]

should still allow you to hit next/last etc, and then clearing the command line will return the outputs to the pre-RemDim level.

As I say, this worked for me on v1.9.8, and also works on the Ion I have sat around running v1.9.5, but let us know if this doesn't work for you!

Highlight Mode works well for channel checking as well.

[1] [Highlight] [Enter] and then [Next] & [Last] to go through the channels that are on display. You can set the highlight level in Setup aswell as setting your Rem Dim value for everything else when running through the channels, its worth a play.

On an Ion you will need to press [More SK] to get [Highlight] after you have selected a channel.

[1] [Full] [RemDim] [Enter]

should still allow you to hit next/last etc, and then clearing the command line will return the outputs to the pre-RemDim level.

It still does, and has been the same in the current and previous software releases and 1.9.8 is the latest version of the software and the syntax you give is correct.

I have tried all variables of what your saying i.e.

1 @ FULL REM-DIM, NEXT/LAST - This works fine

1 THRU 10 @ FULL REM-DIM, NEXT/LAST - Again, this works only ground through channels 1 THRU 10 so Im not sure whats going wrong here.

J

Might be worth checking which display mode you're in - I don't know if they have changed it, but in the older versions of the software if you next/last when you are set to display only active channels (or any limited list of channels) you would only cycle through the channels listed, which if you remdim from an empty list will only be the one channel, hit [flexi] until you get all channels, then try it

Cheers people, much appreciated!

I'll try some of these suggestions. The way we used to do it was somthing like 1 @ full rem dim next enter - or somthing simlar, then by hitting next it would go up through the channels in order! However the channel check key seems the most obviouse solution in the world! Never even seen that key/option! I shall investigate the board next time it's out! (uni = everything packed away under lock and key until required the day of the rig/plot)

Thanks again

Nothing changed in 1.9.8 (or 1.9.9) to alter what you are trying to do.

You can still rem dim NEXT / LAST. As Richard mentioned, if you are in flexi Active mode then it will only rem dim through active channels.

If you were to go to flexi patched mode then it will work as you would expect.

Channel check mode will work as well. I have found a few times that the desk forgets it is in channel check mode and pressing clear will not kill the lantern you have just turned on to check.

I tend to use the flash function quite a lot. On 1.9.8 it is found by selecting the channel and then holding down SHIFT + FULL / OUT.

Highlight is also a useful function. To use this I would set a highlight and lowlight preset in setup, I usually use two and three (preset 1 is always home for me.)

I then make my highlight preset with lights at full, in open white, sharp to the shutter and no gobo. I have my lowlight preset with lantern at 50% and colour in dark blue.

Andrew

I've only really found [Channel Check] useful when I have a selection of lights that are both numerically one after the other and are say in a row across a Lighting Bar.

The problem is, say that you are in a focus session, you hypothetically start at Channel 1, putting it into channel check mode will only allow you to press [next] or [last], any other key will take you out of channel check mode. Meaning you have to start somewhere and work backwards or forwards to get somewhere, following your current flexi channel state (patched channels is probably the most useful for this occasion). You can select a group of channels but then moving on from there, you will have to come out of channel check mode and rein-gage with another selection of channels to start somewhere else. It's a lovely function but in some venues I've found it not to be the best application.

If you were to use Highlight mode, you would engage once, then any selection of channels is just a simple:

[1] [Enter]

[1] [Thru] [9] [Enter]

[+] [2] [Enter]

[Group] [1] [Enter]

[-] [4] [Enter]

[Next]

[Last]

...Done

Because you can set up what exactly you want to happen in Setup when going into Highlight mode, using the Highlight/Lowlight Presets (referencing to a preset of your choice) and the Remdim value. It allows you greater control. Such as you might never want to have your ND turn off when going into Highlight Mode, or you might want to keep some stage lights on at maybe 20% while you focus or change a focus of a mover during a tech. You might always want your blues kept on no matter what. Lots of things.

This is where my lack of experience kicks in as it would probably take me a good hour or so plus lots of malteasers to figgure out how to do your way Smallsy, although it would definatly come in handy should I be lucky enough to get a job in an ION equipt venue! (p.s if you are looking for a board op anytime soon - I know a northern monkey who'd bite your arm off)

At the mo we only do simple stuff at uni. I'm begining to think it's a bit like driving, they only train us to pass the test. the real learning starts on my first job. Only a few months left till graduation though so not long!

We don't soft patch and deal with (and you may laugh at this) 32 dimmer channels! Small but it gives us the trial experience we need. Also means they are always full so jumping to and from groups of patched channels shouldn't be an issue. I always leave 'emergency - I need a light here now' channels at the end!

Thanks A lot for everyone's contributions! Most forums I use I'd be lucky if I got a reply before Will is King!

Cheers

Archived