Pearl Tiger Theatre Stack - editing shapes

gafferted

I'm running a panto on a Pearl Tiger (not my choice - it's the house desk at the venue) .

I'm also learning the desk so could really use a little help from you experienced chaps out there as the manual is not doing it for me.

In particular I'm having trouble editing stack steps (cues) which include shapes. Hope this makes sense....

If you <include><step no><Theatre Stack Step> a step with shapes in it all seems to work ok so far. If you then edit the programmer, hit <Record Menu> <Record Progarammer> back into the original step, (manual says don't <rRecord Stage> as shapes won't be saved) , you are asked if you want to <Replace Shapes>. Se;ect <Yes> and all the shapes originally in the cue seem to dissapear, replaced only by the ones newly edited. It seems to treat all the shapes as a single entity and won't let you edit one of them and merge it back into the original step.

Anohter anomaly seems that if you do the same, but select just one fixture to <Include>, ALL the shapes from ALL the fixtures in the step get included into the programmer, so that if you then <Record Programmer> into a different step, you get loads of unwanted shapes applied to various fixtures.

Am I making snese? If so am I doing something silly (even if just using the wrong tool for the job perhaps!?)

Thanks in anticipation

Eddie

I have always found the behaviour of shapes confusing when using Include on Pearl Classic, not just in theatre stack. I am not completely sure it works properly, but whenever it comes up I've been in the middle of programming a show with no time to investigate.

Give Avo a ring, they are always very helpful.

I'm running a panto on a Pearl Tiger (not my choice - it's the house desk at the venue) .

I'm also learning the desk so could really use a little help from you experienced chaps out there as the manual is not doing it for me.

In particular I'm having trouble editing stack steps (cues) which include shapes. Hope this makes sense....

If you <include><step no><Theatre Stack Step> a step with shapes in it all seems to work ok so far. If you then edit the programmer, hit <Record Menu> <Record Progarammer> back into the original step, (manual says don't <rRecord Stage> as shapes won't be saved) , you are asked if you want to <Replace Shapes>. Se;ect <Yes> and all the shapes originally in the cue seem to dissapear, replaced only by the ones newly edited. It seems to treat all the shapes as a single entity and won't let you edit one of them and merge it back into the original step.

Anohter anomaly seems that if you do the same, but select just one fixture to <Include>, ALL the shapes from ALL the fixtures in the step get included into the programmer, so that if you then <Record Programmer> into a different step, you get loads of unwanted shapes applied to various fixtures.

Am I making snese? If so am I doing something silly (even if just using the wrong tool for the job perhaps!?)

Thanks in anticipation

Eddie

I was having the exact same problem as you with including from a single fixture on a Pearl 2004. I can only assume that the feature simply doesnt work correctly on that software version :(

Thanks guys, it's reassuring to know I'm not being completely daft!

I have spoken to Emma at Avo regarding this. She suggested not using <include> but to enter changes into the programmer and the merge into the step in the normal way. That works for adding a static fixture, but as soon as you try to add a new shape you erase all the original ones when you merge the programmer in. She went on to comment something like "theatre stack is a bit of a law unto itself"

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

I guess I was hoping someone may have found a work around but it seems not.

I found another one this afternoon - if you fade up a fixture temporariily during the show, then hit <clear> followed by the <Go> button to go to the next step, the shapes don't start. You have to type the step number and hit <cut to live> to start the shapes in the new step.

Eddie

She went on to comment something like "theatre stack is a bit of a law unto itself"

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

Unfortunately in Classic Pearl that seems to be a fairly accurate description - They've pretty much got it right in Titan, although still some room for improvement, I think they'll have stopped trying to improve it on Classic though :(

Archived