IEM manufacturers - opinions please?

Aaron-Hill07

Afternoon all,

following a recent topic about custom earplugs.. I'm looking to get myself a pair of IEMs to replace my standard moulded earplugs...

I find myself in high sound pressure situations quite often whilst mixing FOH, monitors or even just sitting at front of house running lights... and I find using plugs is a great help.. but I'd also like to have them as in ears too.

What I need are:

Good quality audio & frequency response

Local moulds to be taken ( I know of places in Brentwood, Essex that a lot of people go to for fitting)

Reasonable price, I know it's probably you get what you pay for.. but the cheaper the better!

Good quality cabling and connectors..

So, who would you reccomend? I know of a few companies including Handheld Audio, ACS, JH Audio, Ultimate Ears etc but they seem to be far too expensive!

Also, specifically has anyone ever used these guys? http://www.ultimateear.com/

Many thanks!

Afternoon all,

following a recent topic about custom earplugs.. I'm looking to get myself a pair of IEMs to replace my standard moulded earplugs...

I find myself in high sound pressure situations quite often whilst mixing FOH, monitors or even just sitting at front of house running lights... and I find using plugs is a great help.. but I'd also like to have them as in ears too.

What I need are:

Good quality audio & frequency response

Local moulds to be taken ( I know of places in Brentwood, Essex that a lot of people go to for fitting)

Reasonable price, I know it's probably you get what you pay for.. but the cheaper the better!

Good quality cabling and connectors..

So, who would you reccomend? I know of a few companies including Handheld Audio, ACS, JH Audio, Ultimate Ears etc but they seem to be far too expensive!

Also, specifically has anyone ever used these guys? http://www.ultimateear.com/

Many thanks!

I don't have any experience in IEM's at all, but I am 50% deaf in my left ear and got tinnitus in my right when doing dive training for a cruise line. Makes using can's, walkies quite difficult. - My only comment is - yes cheaper is better, however n our industry hearing and seeing are two of the most important things to look after. Its priceless. . . . If you know the company is good - then they are probably expensive for a reason. You wouldn't buy a cheap Chinese import of them because it saves you £50 - or would you!

Absolutely agree, which is why I've stated I also want good quality moulds done with exactly the right amount of noise reduction and frequency protection..

by 'the cheaper the better' I mean, I don't want to spend £2,000 on a pair of logitech ultimate ears.. but I also don't want to pay £100 for a pair...

Cheaper the better, for a quality product

Ultimate ears are rather good, and are my preferred choice, and that of many people I work with... spend as much as you feel comfortable with.. How often are you going to be using them? If you're realistically only really going to be using them for some ipod listening, and the odd small gig, get the basic double driver, if you're feeling flash, or just pick up some shure generics for gigs, if moneys tight, I used E3's for years and never felt the need to spend more, only upgraded when a band paid for a spicier set..and use the moulds for protection.

To be honest, I'd only really use the really expensive ones if a band are buying you some, and then only to match theirs if you are working with them... ears are a little uncomfortable if worn for the ipod use and can lead to ear infections and soreness.

Archived