more eBay fraud

lx999

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do eBay fraudsters seem to think that buyers of lighting equipment are more gullible than anyone else?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

check it out, the scammer has gone a bit downmarket : )

Sorry but I don't see how that is definately a scam...

OK its a bit odd that you have to email before bidding, and that he hasnt filled in the Payment Methods, but that it easily missed...

Also no feedback - but you have to start somewhere.

David

Why do eBay fraudsters seem to think that buyers of lighting equipment are more gullible than anyone else? 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT 

check it out, the scammer has gone a bit downmarket : ) 

Sorry but I don't see how that is definately a scam...

OK its a bit odd that you have to email before bidding, and that he hasnt filled in the Payment Methods, but that it easily missed...

Also no feedback - but you have to start somewhere.

David

Nothing particularly odd about the email requirement; I've seen that quite a lot on auctions where a company is selling of redundant kit; and if it's their 1st change of desk since ebay, not a great surprise that they have no history.

Does DSA have any evidence that this is a scam? If not, this thread ought be deleted as it could easily be seen as libelous.

I think there are several clues.

New id

Bidders id kept private

Someone elses pictures

The name with lots of numbers (every scammer that has bid on my items has listed in the same manner)

Payment details

Value of goods, is this cheap starting price? for such an item

Bidders id kept private so you cannot tip them off.

These guys usually try to sell sound desks in a similar manner, ie a Midas XL3 starting at £600 !!!!!!!!!

take care

Ian

Based on my previous experiences on e-bay, my best advice is to treat it as genuine, but be extremely wary. Try to get some real contact details from the Seller, and don't part with ANY money until you have had someone view the kit. Ask loads of questions, including technical ones, and that should give you a good idea of whether the person is someone likely to be selling the equipment. Plus follow e-bays advice on how to pay and how not to pay.

Just in case you thought I was making wild and unsubstantiated statements, the vendor says the goods will be shipped on receipt of payment direct to a bank account, it's a private auction, so you can't see who's bidding (ie, the vendor or a confederate can bump the price up).

The goods are listed as being in london, on asking if they can be inspected, the vendor was very evasive, and eventually claimed to be in spain at the moment.

The vendor cannot provide any history, information about condition, serial number, etc etc. Need I go on??

Caveat Emptor!

And needless to say, don't buy a lighting or sound desk unless you can see it, and they can prove they own it : )

And needless to say, don't buy a lighting or sound desk unless you can see it, and they can prove they own it : )

Or you are making your purchase from a reputable Ebay dealer with plenty of (good!) feedback, or someone who makes their living from the selling of aforementioned goods on the internet (;)).

Seriously. Best to be careful, if you have any doubts best not to do it. The best bargain normally comes with a catch.

Stu

Guest lightnix

In general: to begin with, you could ask the seller for the serial number(s) and then contact the manufacturer to see if it rings any alarm bells. I would also ask the seller about the provenance, i.e. where it came from, how they came to get their hands on it, why it's going so cheap, along with the concerns raised above. If they appear cagey at giving definite answers, then drop it and inform Ebay.

I wouldn't go so far, at this stage anyway, to say that the kit is definitely hot, although I must say that the way it's being presented does arouse my suspicions.

Quite a while back, I suggested a "Stolen Kit" forum to which anybody could post info, by e-mail if necessary for non-BR members. I'm suggesting it again and am also volunteering to run/moderate it and get other forums/sites on board. Anybody who runs their own website could provide a link. The more widely this information is broadcast, the more chance there is of recovering it and the greater the deterant from nicking it in the first place.

EDIT: Have just sent a message to the seller, asking for S/Ns & provenance. Watch this space...

<Snip>

Quite a while back, I suggested a "Stolen Kit" forum to which anybody could post info, by e-mail if necessary for non-BR members.  I'm suggesting it again and am also volunteering to run/moderate it and get other forums/sites on board.  Anybody who runs their own website could provide a link.  The more widely this information is broadcast, the more chance there is of recovering it and the greater the deterant from nicking it in the first place.

<Snip>

I think this is a superb idea. As my latest project with probably have to use the the secondhand market almost exclusively and it would be extremely embarrassing to be caught buying stolen goods I would welcome any help with open arms.

I guess there may be one or two potential legal probs so the information posted would have to be carefully moderated to give the detail without being open to accusations of liable. If anyone wants to recommend good honest secondhand dealers I think that would be fine. Hopefully ;)

Tim

Guest lightnix

I just got a reply...

Model #: 4110A1004

Serial #: 9/26/97 EXPS 2181

Ring any bells ?

There was no answer to my question about how the seller came to be in its possession, though. I'll ask again.

EDIT:

I guess there may be one or two potential legal probs so the information posted would have to be carefully moderated to give the detail without being open to accusations...
Good point, as you can see it was getting a bit late when I made the post.

When I said "anybody" could post, I meant "anybody who'd had their kit stolen". Of course the forum would need to be pre-moderated and all threads auto-locked to prevent spurious or speculative replies. Any sightings of reported kit could be made by PM or e-mail, preferably with photographic evidence if possible. I'm not sure quite what the next step would be, presumably to find some kind of regular contact within the Police, to whom the info could be passed on.

I've sent a PM to peter on this, although I know he's busier than a busy thing at the moment, so it may be a while before he has time to give it full consideration.

he sent this to me via ebay, not sure what it means.

I am going to close the deal between myself and the buyer, I am not

willing to use any third party services due to some serious reasons, such

as www.nopaypal.com ...www.paypalsucks.com........ Model # 4110A1004

Serial # 9/26/97 EXPS 2181

methinks not worth a bid!

Archived