lighting interviews.

GaffGirl

Hello all!

Im new here and have a quick question!

In a few weeks I have an interview with a very prominent theatre in Chicago for an apprenticeship in lighting.

im not all that good in interviews. ;)

im just bad at talking about myself. its the technician in me.

what can I do and talk about to really make an impact on them...I really want this gig.

also. I have a pretty good (I think so anyway) portfolio.

BUT. what are some general things I should and shouldnt put in there.

an old theatre teacher said I should put a follow up note/final thoughts/what I learned while working on the show type of page in for each show.

would that help me or hurt me?

I can go either way with it.

any thing will help me!

PLEASE!!! :)

snip

BUT. what are some general things I should and shouldnt put in there.

snip

any thing will help me!

PLEASE!!! ;)

Punctuation wouldn't hurt. :)

Seriously, if I were recruiting, or interviewing, I would think that someone who can't be bothered to type properly is lazy, and wouldn't get past the 1st stage. I know that I might miss the best LX tech (or whoever) ever....

Punctuation wouldn't hurt.  :) 

Seriously, if I were recruiting, or interviewing, I would think that someone who can't be bothered to type properly is lazy, and wouldn't get past the 1st stage.  I know that I might miss the best LX tech (or whoever) ever....

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with Andrew about laziness, let's see if I can offer any more concrete advice.

Think about what sort of person they are looking for - if they offer a Person Specification this will do that job for you. Then make sure you sell yourself as that person. For example, you may be the world's best lighting designer but if they're looking just for someone to rig and focus, then don't harp on about being an LD. Mention everything you can do, but favour the things you'd need to do in the job.

Give examples of things you've done which show the qualities they're looking for. For example, if they're looking for someone who can come up with ideas, give examples of good ideas you've come up with. If they're looking for someone who can work well in a team, give examples of teams you've worked in saying how wonderfully successful they were.

Show not only that you are good at almost everything, but also that you are keen to learn about the rest. Keeness and ability are the two most important things to look for when recruituing. If you have the ability and are keen to learn and to work hard then they're onto a winner!

Oh yes, and get someone who's good at writing and punctuating letters to check yours before you send it!

Good luck.

JSB

Oh for goodness sake Andrew. This person was asking for real advice!!!

From a personal point of view - if I was interviewing I would be far more interested in the person and not how well they could spell. One of my staff in his forties is awful at using a computer, can't spell for toffee, probably does not have one "O" level to his name but, he is extremely hard working, 100% trustworthy, willing to learn, and we have a good giggle in the warehouse also. I actually employed him above a bloke with a 1st class honours degree. Its more about the person than what is written on paper.

My advice for Gaffgirl is be yourself - be true and do not oversell yourself. (this can come across in the wrong way). If you have the talent these people want; a great portfolio AND you're a nice genuine person - you stand a good chance.

Good advice, be yourself and make yourself a useful person to have.

On another front, you might want to do a little research on the US form ofapprenticships - internships are similar. Also the union strength over there may need looking at to see if there are any problems there. I'be had a US sudent working for me recently with very few problems, but he told me he was surprised how easy it had been compared to the other way around.

paul

Oh for goodness sake Andrew. This person was asking for real advice!!!

It was genuine advice, genuinely meant. Some months ago I was involved in recruiting a new technician. Of the good handful of applicants two went straight to the "Sorry" stage because we felt that they had made so little effort to fill in the application in acceptable English.

However, the successful candidate got the job because he was able and personable, even though his speeling wasn't perfect. It's the lack of trying that would be a killer IMHO.

One thing that might set you apart would be reading up on Health & Safety. I don't know how the US law affects employees (if at all, to judge by "Fast Food Nation") but over here, if you have any training or experience in H&S matters it could make a significant difference.

Oh & BTW the very best of luck at the interview!

Guest lightnix

Hi Gaffgirl, welcome to the Blue Room :)

Sorry for the brief reply, but there are some general tips on interview technique in the Training & Qualifications forum. Just do a search of that forum for "interview" to find them.

One of the most important things IMHO, is to be yourself and give honest answers, rather than trying to tell them what you think they want to hear.

Don't forget, this business is populated almost entirely with blaggers (UK slang for "b :o llsh :o tt :o rs) and if there's one person you can't blag, it's another blagger ;)

Also, don't forget that an interview is a two way process: i.e. despite their size and prestige of the venue / job, are they (once you get to meet them) really the kind of people you want to work for? Don't be afraid to ask questions of them which will help you answer this question.

P.S. My PRG freelance crew agreement arrived in the post the other day... and went straight into the shredder ;) :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **:

Their loss, not mine B-)

My PRG freelance crew agreement arrived in the post the other day... and went straight into the shredder :** laughs out loud **:  B-)  :)

Mine's sitting on my desk at this very moment, waiting to be filled in .... ;) :** laughs out loud **:

Archived