DMX Issues

Neil Hampson

Heres another DMX (maybe) puzzle that I had recently.

First off, ALL the cables were tested and fine.

I had 6 scrollers. 4 all on same address and 2 on another. They were single channel scrollers.

The'path' went like this: DMX line out of buffer into scroller PSU. scroller cable out daisy chained to the 6 scrollers. First 4 scrollers same address, last 2 on another adress. Scroller cable return to the PSU.

From day one- first scroller not respond to DMX at all although status indicated ok. The other 5 were fine. At this point everything checked, double checked - even tried different desk directly to PSU. Same problem. Hire company sends a replacement scroller. Still same problem.

2 days later, scroller number 3 of the chain of 6 stops responding. same staus ok led's lit.

At this point, there is nothing more I can do as there is too much set and deck in the way to be able to pull everything out and start again. + I needed to start plotting.

Very disapointed. Ended up having to re-design certain elements and just eventually hooked up all the scroller cable and ran with the final 2 which were fine.

Im guessing it must have been an issue with the PSU prehaps. Certainly no problems with DMX as everything else coming out of the buffer was isolated. I had 1 line for scrollers, 1 for movers, 1 for LED cans and batterns,1 for the strobes and 1 for smoke/haze/heavy fog.

Any ideas what the problem may have been.?

Archived