Putting on a festival

ace

I have been apporached to handle the technical side of puttng on a small scale music festival about 3,500 people. Now the event is only in very preliminary planning as it would be held in a few years time and as I am only a theatre technitian this is going to be a huge learning curve for me! So I was wondering what tips and advice you guys could give me? What have you done before which didn't work or did work?

I am guessing that it is just going to be a markee job with full lighting and sound rigs, but I have no real idea of scale or staff levels involved!

I would appreciate any thoughts!

Employ me, Employ Me!!!!!!!!!

:( ;) :D :D :D

Just a small suggestion

The words are planning planning planning and budget budget budget and safety safety safety. Apart from that ask more specific questions and we'll all give you advice.

Owen

www.eventtechnician.co.uk

Assuming its an outdoor festival? This is going to be the biggest change from what you know. You need to take into account weather conditions (have back up plans), obviously safety is a big one. You need to know heaps about your site, power supply, access ( fencing, vehicles, punters) stuff like that.

As owen says, be sure to let us know when recruiting crew :(

true-

also, try to find out all you can about the talent, what they want and so on.

try to work on some other festivals in the time between now and then to get used to the way things are done.

get back up's for the back up's - the power supplies are {in my limited experience} the most embarassing thing when they fail; if you try to jump from a few tents to a whole rig too quickly, the genny's stall! ( :( who me?, no I didn't stall them ;) )

and please let us know when after crew :D

good luck.

andrew

Right guys...

A certain Hire company, has basically offered the service of taking responsibility for the whole event, providing crew and all the equipment, and running the whole show. This isn;t really what we want to do but it gives a basis for the technical aspects as well as costs.

Are there any other production companies which would be happy to take on this kind of event that I can contact? Also what are the merits of doing this or organising it entirely ourselves (The much more fun and prefereable option)

PS of course whis will be the first place I look when needing crew! :-) but that is quite a way off yet!

Also It was suggested that I should visit a few other festivals before this event to get a feel for how they are run. Is anyone involved in the technical side of a similar event who would be prepeared to let me see what goes on? Or any ideas who I should approach?

Thanks.

Guest lightnix
A certain Hire company, has basically offered the service...
That's probably not a bad idea, given that you are close to the bottom of the learning curve on this one at the moment. It will give you a chance to concentrate on the create and general organisational aspects of the show, without getting too bogged down in the detail. It would certainly be worth asking a couple of other companies to provide quotes as well, to ensure that you are getting the best value, although I'm not sure whom you should call.

Subcontracting will give you the chance to learn from people who have "been there and done that" and will ease (although not negate) some of your H&S duties. Don't forget, you will still have to ensure that whoever does the job is adequately covered, that they have an H&S policy in place and that all their crew have PL insurance.

Most of your headaches will come from the H+S and local council people. Check out the venue with a licencing officer they will give you guidelines and on the whole help you out. For police cover the rules have changed recentley any you will probably have to pay to have them there! (The licence will depend on you having them so there is no way arround it.) Are you going to offer consessions? if they are outside traders then they will need to provide you with risk assesments ect...

This is a subject v close to my heart as I have been deepley involved in strawberry fair in cambridge for a number of years a one day free event with a atendance level of about 40-50,000! if anybody is interested the event is on the 7th of june this year come along it's free five stages a huge entertaiments area grub,beer and more! check out the website www.strawberry-fair.org.uk

If you have any questions feel free to contact me off forum.

A good starting point maybe buying 'The Event Safety Guide' from the HSE. ISBN 0-7176-2453-6 It's a nice fat book covering just about everything festival-wise. One of the most useful things I've spent £20 on.

Also if it is in a marquee on grass a good investment is some sheets of sterling board or similar. Sure helps the load in/out after heavy rain and 3,500 people trampling around in the mud.

A good starting point maybe buying 'The Event Safety Guide' from the HSE. ISBN 0-7176-2453-6 It's a nice fat book covering just about everything festival-wise. One of the most useful things I've spent £20 on.

I'll second that. The Event Safety Guide is well worth reading and contains what is generally considered to be "best practice". It will probably remind you of 101 things you should have thought of and make you feel quite daunted by the whole idea!

Archived