Headphones for mixing live sound

s86scott

• 1 month later...

Just a little update on this thread...

Found out my DT770 headphones have broke a little bit, and one ear is distorting occasionally.

So they might be ok if I get them fixed.

In the meantime, I bought some DT150's, no better on isolation or level, and slightly less comfortable IMO!

The search continues, thanks for all the suggestions.

I've got a set of Denon AHD2000's I use regularly on monitors and front of house, I've never had volume problems and they give a pretty honest response.

The Dave Rat headphone quest is also well worth a watch!

I used to use a set of Beyer dt100's but again the volume wasn't the best, the response was great. I did however have the 400ohm versions, more appropriate for studio use, I think they do a set at 16ohms will obvious give you a great deal more volume to play with.(By my rough calculation around 26-28db higher with the same pre amp settings.)

Here may be an idea:

Take your headphones to a shop (where they sell the brands your looking at obviously) with an ipod/cd/laptop, and you can compare with the same output volume how loud the headphones are, if you've had your headphones for a while you may want to find a set with similar frequency characteristics, as your probably used to what they sound like, and thus you will mix with the sound of your headphones in mind.

Good luck.

HD 25-1 ii are excellent good isolation good bass good price and all componants are replaceable from Senn. I have been working on the same set for 4years and have tried many other models but for live sound I havnt found a better set!

As this thread has re-surfaced...

I love the sound of the HD 25s (in fact they're my headphones of choice for personal listening at home) but, on my ears at least, the cups are a bit too small to give me good isolation in a live situation. It might be something to try before laying out your cash--since ear sizes can vary a lot.

Archived