Library Backcloth

CharlieH

Hi,

I mentioned in a previous post that I needed some flourescent tubes for an AS drama performance. Since then things have changed are we are no longer able to build a library backdrop out of wood (as was originally planned). Therefore we are thinking of flying a cloth backdrop instead, however after googling they all appear to be very 'panto' which is not quite what we had in mind. The play is set in a modern day private secondary school library, something like this would be ideal.

So my question is does anybody have one or know of anyone that has one that we can hire?

Thanks,

Charlie

There are some photography backdrops of old fashioned library books, but unless you can borrow a few, it might look a bit odd with only one bookcase!

I would take a photo of a real library, and then project the image onto a plain backdrop.

Otherwise, you need to find an art student who fancies painting a realistic modern library backdrop. They may even be able to integrate the work into their course.

Have you thought of getting one custom made in China?

If you have still got a bit of time and you have a picture or drawing in mind you could get one made in China. The shortest time I have had one painted and delivered to me was just under 3 weeks.

In the past 3 years I have had nearly 20 backdrops made in China, all hand painted muslin. The minimum order I have had done was one and with air freight it was about £115. The more I ordered at one time the cheaper it got

The only thing is you didn't state the size you were looking for. The standard size I found most people wanted to do was 10ft x 20ft (landscape or portrait). However you could have two done at the same time in a way that you have one half of the picture on one cloth and the other half on the other cloth. I had this done once and it was done very well indeed. I had the join positioned very carefully so it look as if was a drain pipe going up the side of the building.

There are a few people I found doing this and there is at least one selling on ebay now.

Thanks to everyone that has posted. I have emailed the companies mentioned above and will see what the outcome is. The art department weren't keen on painting one, however if we can't hire anything suitable then I will hassle them about it :)

Many Thanks,

Charlie

Archived