return to the forbidden planet

jonathan.1

hi all

I am working on a school production of return to the forbidden planet and had been asked to create a back lit air lock.

we have a wall and the back of the stage with a sliding door in that has a a chamber built behind. what would be the easiest and cheapest was to fill this with smoke and then be able to discharge it very quickly. would 2 400w holgen flood lights also be bright enough to create a "blinding" light as a member of the cast walks out of the airlock.

sorry for so many questions but help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks in advance

Jonathan

Smoke machines tend to be very good at making smoke. Check for smoke sensor alarms first though!

Halogen floods sound a good idea, make sure they're not near anything flammable as they'll get hot.

thanks :-), I have checked for smoke alarms, would I need to use an external fan to get the smoke out of the air lock quickly tho?

We had a single open white parcan immediately above, and 20 ceiling type recessed fittings on the frame pointing outwards towards the audience as blinders - which when the stage lighting dimmed out and the air lock door lifted up worked pretty well when the smoke came out. Just a case of experimenting to see how long a burst of smoke you need without the actor coughing.

Most of the version we did was modelled on the touring version going around in 1996/7 and I did manage to get my hands on the lighting plan at the time - if you're interested in a no moving head rig here it is.

http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/PLANET4A.png

I remember that version - it visited the North Wales Theatre while I worked there. A cracking show with some great songs in it - lighting design by Benny Ball, if I recall correctly. It was a fairly big touring rig for its time - the lights on the above plan are only part of the story, the practicals and eye-candy stuff mounted in the set filled an entire 72-way Avo rack!

We had a single open white parcan immediately above, and 20 ceiling type recessed fittings on the frame pointing outwards towards the audience as blinders - which when the stage lighting dimmed out and the air lock door lifted up worked pretty well when the smoke came out. Just a case of experimenting to see how long a burst of smoke you need without the actor coughing.

Most of the version we did was modelled on the touring version going around in 1996/7 and I did manage to get my hands on the lighting plan at the time - if you're interested in a no moving head rig here it is.

http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/PLANET4A.png

Humbug.......

KC

thanks for all the advice, after a little thought a smoke machine and 4 400w halogen floods with 3 standard desk fans all into a portable dimmer with a switch facility did the job quite nicely gives a pretty good effect when the main foh bar is dimmed

many thanks for all the help

Jonathan

Archived