VAT Number on Website

cfmonk

Split out from my topic about our website. Does anybody know whether / if you have to include a VAT number on your website?

Google throws up a really mixed bag of responses, just wondering if anybody has been told either way?

Chris

The HMRC website is the only real place to find the rules, and looking through it there is information on what must be on your invoices but nothing I can find stating anything about web site contents. Personally, if you are registered, it would seem a positive move to include your registration number, and I can't think of any reason not to include it? I hate it when some companies who are registered make it hard to find the number, when you're trying to make sure, before buying on-line that you can get a proper VAT receipt. It's really annoying when you think you've found the cheapest to find the one you chose isn't registered, and effectively were more expensive!

Personally, if you are registered, it would seem a positive move to include your registration number, and I can't think of any reason not to include it? I hate it when some companies who are registered make it hard to find the number, when you're trying to make sure, before buying on-line that you can get a proper VAT receipt. It's really annoying when you think you've found the cheapest to find the one you chose isn't registered, and effectively were more expensive!

That, rather better put, was the point I was trying to make on the other thread. Indeed without it you could kiss goodbye to a lot of enquiries at the first hurdle I think...

My understanding is that if you sell on through your website (or offer products / services for sale and show pricing) you must show your VAT number as per Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002. If you don't operate any sort of e-commerce or publish a price list etc then you don't need to.

It would appear you are correct Ross:

(g) where the service provider undertakes an activity that is subject to value added tax,

the identification number referred to in Article 22(1) of the sixth Council Directive 77/

388/EEC of 17 May 1977 on the harmonisation of the laws of the member States

relating to turnover taxes—Common system of value added tax: uniform basis of

assessment(a)

Is from The Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002 which I think says you should put your VAT number on there even if you do not use your website as an e-commerce device nor display a price list because you are still "undertaking an activity that is subject to value added tax,". However I am no lawyer and have not read the whole document so couldn't swear to it.

Chris

Archived