Students

Peter Tovey

As to the first point, why do Cambridge students never figure that out! :rolleyes:

The vast majority of us have. Don't be so condescending. Admittedly there might be some people working on their first or second show who haven't picked up all the tricks that someone who has worked in theatre for decades have, but you'll find that there are a lot of technicians in Cambridge who are at least as competant as several so-called professionals I have had the displeasure to work with.

I'm guessing that you're an Arts Theatre type. Have you considered that the Arts would probably not be financially viable without all the student shows that go in there, and that once in a while it might be worth according the students the respect that the vast majority deserve? If you're not, apologies - it's just something that winds a lot of us up!

Peter

As to the first point, why do Cambridge students never figure that out! :D

The vast majority of us have. Don't be so condescending. Admittedly there might be some people working on their first or second show who haven't picked up all the tricks that someone who has worked in theatre for decades have, but you'll find that there are a lot of technicians in Cambridge who are at least as competant as several so-called professionals I have had the displeasure to work with.

I'm guessing that you're an Arts Theatre type. Have you considered that the Arts would probably not be financially viable without all the student shows that go in there, and that once in a while it might be worth according the students the respect that the vast majority deserve? If you're not, apologies - it's just something that winds a lot of us up!

Peter

I was an Arts theatre type for two years, so had a lot of students to deal with, in the main house and the Corpus Playroom. Sorry you don't like what I'm saying but I found an absolute pain in the neck. With one notable exception, I found them lacking in basic common sense, unwilling to take advice, unable to do as they're told and completely lacking in respect for someone elses workplace and tools.

As for the student shows, the Arts would happily do without them, the pre-prodution meetings are take up far too much time, they don't do that much Box Office, and the bars don't do a great trade when rounds consist of glasses of tap-water!

Guest lightnix

We may be :P here, but the original subject seems to have been covered well enough :P

As to the first point, why do Cambridge students never figure that out! :D

...there are a lot of technicians in Cambridge who are at least as competant as several so-called professionals I have had the displeasure to work with.

The feeling's mutual, I'm sure :D

...and that once in a while it might be worth according the students the respect that the vast majority deserve?
I'm afraid you have to earn respect first, before you deserve it.

If you're not, apologies - it's just something that winds a lot of us up!

Bloody students :D :D :blink:

an absolute pain in the neck... lacking in basic common sense, unwilling to take advice, unable to do as they're told and completely lacking in respect for someone elses workplace and tools.
Just about sums it up for me, too, I'm afraid. I wouldn't tar all students with that brush, but there are more than enough of them with that kind of attitude around in my experience, to give the rest a thoroughly bad reputation. I've met several fresh graduates over the years who think they can run when they've only just learnt to walk; who seem to think that they are the New Wave and the businesses only hope; that your quarter century of hard-earned experience makes you some kind of dinosaur with no significant future and that your ability to do in ten minutes, something that takes them two hours, means that you are lazy and cut corners. Don't get me wrong: I love having new blood on the crew, it keeps things fresh, but if you come to me with that kind of attitude you will not have a pleasant day.

My advice to new graduates...

1. Shut up.

2. Watch.

3. Listen.

4. Learn.

5. Ask sensible questions*.

6. Shut up.

7. Use your common sense.

8. Ask before you borrow something.

9. Put it back where you got it from.

10. If you don't have the tools to do the job, we know plenty of people who do.

11. Don't answer back.

12. Shut up, it's your round.

Before anybody gets upset, that's all advice which was passed on to me in my early days by my elders and betters, who knew much more than I did. Follow it and you'll go far, earning respect all the way :blink:

* "Where's the toilet" is not a sensible question.

1. Shut up.

2. Watch.

3. Listen.

4. Learn.

6. Shut up.

11. Don't answer back.

:D What a fantasic post - this is why I keep coming back to this daft place. Not for the copies or repeats of the same question and answer round covered in another post this evening.............

You have to admit however Lightnix, there are a great many people within the industry who are neither graduates nor student who could do with following your 12 point plan?? :P :blink: :D :D :D :P :blink:

There's little, if anything, that I can add to 'Nix's post. I've done my share of working with students in the past (both technical theatre students, and students of other things who just happen to be involved with student shows in a technical capacity) - fortunately, it's not something that I find myself called upon to do much of these days! There are good students, and bad students. I've worked alongside students who are as good as, if not better than, some of the professional technical operatvies that I've worked with. Conversely, I've worked alongside students who leave you wondering how they manage to make a cup of tea without killing someone in the process. With this, as with everything in life, there's the good, the bad, and the ugly .....

I've also been on the other side of the fence, working on student productions when I was at university. I hope I managed to make a decent job of it back then, and not piss too many people off in the process. I must have done something right, though, coz the chief electrician at the theatre where we used to do our shows asked me to go and relight one of their tours a couple of years ago! :D

My advice to new graduates...

1. Shut up.

2. Watch.

3. Listen.

4. Learn.

6. Shut up.

11. Don't answer back.

I was going to write a long and detailed reply, but then decided that I actually agreed with the vast majority of your points (I'm not going to concede 11 - otherwise nobody has no way of realising you do have some nous, and besides it makes for good banter in the right place). And there are a very wide range of student / graduate abilities. I know where I'd place myself on that scale, but I have more sense than to try to force that view on others (and I am quite hard on myself!).

So 1) (& 6)

Peter

Archived