Yamaha CP2500 amp hum

Matt Riley

Hi guys,

I've been tasked with sorting out a bit of a hum in a PS8 install. It's coming from the amp, and remains, even when the inputs are unplugged, and has materialised in the last 4 months. The amp still functions correctly, but it's quite distracting. Is there anything I can check within the amp which would likely cause this increase in the noise floor? Or is it a case of stumping up for a new amp?

Matt

Is this an acoustic hum or is it coming through the speakers? If it is coming through the speakers then I suspect that one or more electrolytic capacitors have started to age. Testing capacitors is really a job for someone who knows what they are doing.

If it is an acoustic hum then I'd suspect a loose turn in the mains transformer which will need to be replaced.

James.

When you say 'when the inputs are unplugged', do you mean the inputs to the processor or the inputs actually to the amp?

I had a hum on a very similar PS10 rig that turned out to be one of the link cables from the processor to the amp that had gone single legged.

Regards, Dan.

I had the same question about what you meant by unplugging the inputs.

However, assuming you mean fully disconnected, I've also heard hum from Yamaha amps that turned out to be electrolytics drying up, particularly those in the power supply which would take it out of regulation. Perhaps overkill but we spent a day going through changing EVERY electrolytic in the box, on the theory that, if one is going, they all will soon.

At the end of that day, the beer tasted good.

Sadly this won't be the first time I've had to replace components in power amps (I had to diagnose and resolder a faulty transistor in a mackie M1400 a couple of years ago), nor sadly the first time I've had to do some soldering! The skills should still be there - it's just the inclination that's lacking! I'm already the proud owner of a solder sucker thanks :)

Archived