jester 48

CHIPS

Learning to programme a jester which has been supplied as part of a complete refit to a school which has no moving lights. The trunking has been done very stupidly with circuit numbers all over the shop (stage). For intuitive programming I'll have to repatch a lot (perhaps all) of channels - is there a shortcut for wiping the built-in patches so I don't have to delete them one by one and then write the new patch(es) ? A pity too print-out of cues is not possible - all in all I'm very tempted to run the show on my Sirius 24 which seems more versatile and intuitive but perhaps that's only because I'm used to it: was expecting design to have moved on rather further since I purcahsed the Sirius.

If you use the <Reset Desk> option it will restore the softpatch to 1:1.

The softpatch is also saved in the show file so why not clear the patch once then save the (blank) show to a memory stick. Then to clear all the patch next time just load the saved file :)

Nick

Re patching on the Jester doesn't take any longer than it did on the Sirius. I think that you are being a little unfair on the Jester, possibly as you say you just haven't sat down and got used to it yet. At it's time the Sirius was possibly before it's time, and was certainly one of the best desks that a school could afford to buy and actually use. The Jester by comparison, while very good, just isn't at the forefront of lighting consoles. It is exactly what it proposes, a good cheap, memory / sub-master/ twin preset desk.

It will serve as a good replacement to the Sirius, but as you've discovered it doesn't do a lot more than it's predecessors, for that you would have needed to spend quite a bit more money, or go PC controlled.

(my own personal disappointment with the Jester is the lack of any form of Blind mode, and the lack of follow ons, wait time etc.)

Re patching on the Jester doesn't take any longer than it did on the Sirius. I think that you are being a little unfair on the Jester, possibly as you say you just haven't sat down and got used to it yet. At it's time the Sirius was possibly before it's time, and was certainly one of the best desks that a school could afford to buy and actually use. The Jester by comparison, while very good, just isn't at the forefront of lighting consoles. It is exactly what it proposes, a good cheap, memory / sub-master/ twin preset desk.

It will serve as a good replacement to the Sirius, but as you've discovered it doesn't do a lot more than it's predecessors, for that you would have needed to spend quite a bit more money, or go PC controlled.

(my own personal disappointment with the Jester is the lack of any form of Blind mode, and the lack of follow ons, wait time etc.)

Happily the Jester did not involve my money. I'd love to get hold of the geezer who stipulated internally wired bars and this board - internal wiring IMHO is only of use if bars fly - needless to say these don't. No outlets at floor level either and the most mixed up hard wiring of channels a sudoku addict could devise. All this at the taxpayers expense. Happily the Sirius is mine : I'm learning the jester for the good of my brain and not sure it's worth the effort. Bit of a gunk as I've been recommending Zero88 products for years. There's an extra step in repatching which involves clearing the destination channel before reassigning - that's why I'd like to clear the lot first: there's something to be said for doing that channel by channel completely and then recording the board before rigging and patching a sensible layout: hence the hope of a keyboard shortcut to empty them all. Thanks for the replies, DS

Archived