Choice of system

jameskerr87

Hi All

I'm doing a couple of gigs soon, which will require a PA for a 4-piece function/rock band for around 150 people. I don't know anything about the venue yet but will most likely be either a marquee or ballroom.

I have the choice of three systems, none of which I am particularly used to with live music, and I’m looking for some advise on which might be best suit my needs.

My requirements are:

1. Obviously good sound quality.

2. Light and fast as I will be rigging and de-rigging on my own.

3. Small as I will have very limited space in the van.

4. I will also need some good low end.

The following systems are available for me. Bearing in mind I have used these regularly for corporate work but have never used them in a live band situation.

1 L'Acoustic XT12

L'Acoustic XT8

L'Acoustic SB115

2 Nexo PS8

Nexo LS400

3 EV SX300

EV SX100

+ all necessary processing

I will also be using 4 wedge monitors from the above list.

Ideally Iwould use the L'Acoustic 12XT and SB115 (per side) but these are all in big heavy flight cases and I think I will struggle with them on the gig, plus it will take up most of my van space.

Would 2 x Nexo PS8's per side (FOH) + 2 x subs be adequate? Very light and small is a big bonus.

Or should I mix and match with some EV SX300 and SB115 subs or even with the LS400's????

All opinions welcome

James

EV ELX112 + 118 per side?

1x 4Ch lightweight amp and processor (in small flightcase) and job's a goodun.

2xPS8 per side probably won't work as they're not built to be arrayed (Asymmetrical horn)

I don't know the SB115 so I won't comment on that, but the 12XT is very good and loud, just a lot heavier than the ELX112 for only 1 extra dB on paper.

Josh

Hi James,

My personal recommendation would be the 12XT/SB118 system. For 150 people this will give you plenty of headroom with lots of clarity. The one thing I would add is that if you were to use the L'acoustics rig the main PA will run off of 1 LA4 if you power the tops in a passive mode. If you can incorporate pin swaps then this will require very little in the way of cable.

I would have thought that if available a PS15 would be far more appropriate than a PS8, but I'm assuming from OP that this is not an option. I do not consider the SX300 to be a worthy contender to the above but if it's just you and a van then I could see why you may disagree!

Sam

Cheers Josh

Ahh sorry just checked the subs they are SB118 Doh!!.

And I can use an LA4 amp or some QSC PLX

Definitely use the LA4 with the L'acoustics system. It's an expensive system to f*ck up and there's some processing and protection that's needed for the system...

James,

I'd definitely go for the 12xt's with the sb118 subs..

I mix regularly on that for 150 - 200 people and it works well.

You may want to look at building an la4 preset to put the subs in 60hz mode, and running the 12xt in full range.. Gives you a better low end kick.

If you need any help with the custom preset, give me a shout..

M

James,

I'd definitely go for the 12xt's with the sb118 subs..

I mix regularly on that for 150 - 200 people and it works well.

You may want to look at building an la4 preset to put the subs in 60hz mode, and running the 12xt in full range.. Gives you a better low end kick.

If you need any help with the custom preset, give me a shout..

M

Cheers techywizz.

I will be using the 12xt's for sure.

Thanks for all the replies.

Archived