Fixing a K&M stand

Alec

So, one of my K&M 210/9 mic stands has come apart at the top of the stand. The stud on which the boom swivel mounts has come out of the stand. It goes back in as a friction fit, but comes out again with little provocation.

The stand has a couple of horizontal crimps which look like they're designed to hold the stud in, but I'm loath to give it any force. Has anyone else experience this, and can suggest a fix?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x37/alecsp/Various/KMStand.jpg

Could you fit an extra fairly thin collar of metal around the existing stud, heating the boom end, applying the hot boom to the modified stud and allowing the boom arm to cool while in place. Allowing this means that the boom will expand when heating it and contract once again when cooling therefore connecting the two. It would still technically be a friction fit but a far more robust one. It means no major tools and hopefully little cosmetic difference/ damage to the boom.

Just a thought...

Insert spigot(?) into tube, "crush" in metalwork/engineers vice with lead pads (or similar) to protect finish from vice jaws.

Or, clamp in vice, centre punch dimples into the tube to line up with waist part of the spigot.

Or, clamp in vice, centre punch tube and drill hole through tube and spigot. Insert small diameter screw through both parts. Then a cotton bud dipped in black gloss/matte/satin enamel on screw head and nut for the "professional finsh" or black tape for the "bodge finish", your choice.

Or one of those interference fit, longitudinally split tubes "forced" through hole. Tap in with small pin hammer, or use the vice.

Technically, all K&M stands have a lifetime warranty so you could send it back to the factory in Germany for a replacement bit, but it's probably not worth it. You could try the methods suggested for re-attaching the end but I've never been particularly satisfied with what I have tried in the past. Probably the simplest method is to replace the whole extension rod, I can't imaging it would be expensive. The part number is (or was, before they changed a whole load of them) 7.200.030955

Archived