Small but half decent speaker

JLEvents

Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice. My circumstances are changing and I am no longer able to keep my van and will have to get a car so I need a small speaker setup for around £1200. They will generally be used for weddings 200-300 guests an will be powered by a qsc 1850hd. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

I could recommend the EV ELX112, they're very nice speakers as are the ELX115

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_elx_115.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_elx_112.htm

The 115 has a better bass response (that's a given considering the 15" driver instead of the 12") but the ELX112 is nicer on vocals. For DJing I'd probably go for the 115 unless you planned on going for subs in the future.

Josh

So am I right in saying I would run line out of my mixer to the sub, then a line from the sub to the amp, then the amp to the speakers? Is there an easier way of wiring as that sounds a bit messy?

Would I be better getting the active tops also?

If you got the active tops, the only difference would be not having an amp. The lines of connection would still be the same.

Mixer -----(L+R)----- Sub -----(L+R)----- Amp < to speakers

Mixer -----(L+R)----- Sub < to speakers

You'd still have to run power to the speakers, this could end up messier than having the Amp.

Josh

I think you may be asking a lot from a system that will fit in a car and suit 200 to 300 people. I'm guessing you also have to fit in lights, mixer etc?

I have several HZ systems and the one I use the most will fit in the boot of most cars but I wouldn't say it will cope with more than 150 people.

The middle system I run is Bi amped 3k & will fit in an estate car with the seats down. A pair of HZ HE300's & a pair of SB600's.

I know where there is an exact system like this for sale in Doncaster minus amps if that helps.

I'll be looking at an estate / people carrier so will have that bit of extra space and yes need to also fit in cd players mixer, lights, stands and sometimes even the wife!!

As for thepower to be honest as long as the music is loud enough on the dancefloor I don't mind it not filling the room as I know people like to chat to family they haven't seen in years etc.

I had a little look round for the HZ stuff before but couldn't find any prices.

Archived