DMX cabling

timmiddleton

Currently our DMX chain is all 3pin (because the fixtures only have 3pin sockets) and there's quite abit of mic (and cheap) cable up there. It's very common for us to have problems if we decide we want to plug extra MACs in on the stage (again using audio cable)... We have quite abit of CAT6 cable lying around (as our CCTV has just been changed to IP cameras), would it be better for me to make CAT6 terminated with XLR plugs to use in the DMX chain? Unfortunately money isn't available to buy proper cable, we don't even have a DMX terminator which costs all of what... £5? (we currently use one that I bought)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would it be better for me to make CAT6 terminated with XLR plugs to use in the DMX chain?
Unfortunately, not really.

Cat6 cable and RJ45 connectors are perfectly suitable for DMX transmission - but the cores are too thin to reliably solder into connectors.

- Solid-core Cat6 (which you probably have) is even worse - you may snap them just by trying to solder.

So it would make good sense to replace the 'installed'/'fixed' cable with Cat6 going into fixed (wall/ceiling mounted) connections, and then use a more flexible cable for the remaining 'short' runs to/from the fixtures.

Network cable is designed for 'punchdown/IDC' (solid core) or 'crimp' (stranded) connections, and it's generally quite important to use the right kind of connection for the cable type.

Archived