DVI-D to VGA conversion

ojc123

I've searched for this and can find nothing although I'm sure it will have been discussed before.

The replacement computer for our control room has arrived. It has dual monitor capability. VGA and DVD-D sockets are present.

I assumed a simple DVI-D to VGA adaptor would be available. They are indeed available here.. Other suppliers are available. However, after a little research I think that these adaptors will be useless. The reviews seem to back up my thinking.

The DVI-D is missing the pins C1 to C4 which carry the analogue signal needed for VGA. This is my understanding from the wikipedia page on DVI.

Can someone please confirm or refute my suspicions?

If I'm right then my plan is to get a new monitor with a DVD-D connector, use that as my primary monitor and use the VGA for the projector. I know proper convertors are available but they are about the same price as a monitor and our old monitor can then be reused somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

For 99p, and one day's wait, is it not worth trying?

The cheapest alternative if it doesn't work, is to get a low profile graphics card with more useful outputs on (VGA, DVI-I and also HDMI). Fitting it really is as simple as slot it in, secure it with one screw on the backplate, turn it on and install the drivers from the disc provided!

A bog standard DVI-VGA adaptor will work fine. Ive been using them for years, and Im currently using two on my 2nd and 3rd screens on my PC.

No it won't. Most DVI-VGA adaptors are DVI-I which has four little pins around the "blade" pin. If the DVI-D socket doesn't have the holes for these pins, the male DVI-I plug won't fit in it.

A bog standard DVI-VGA adaptor will work fine. Ive been using them for years, and Im currently using two on my 2nd and 3rd screens on my PC.

No it won't. Most DVI-VGA adaptors are DVI-I which has four little pins around the "blade" pin. If the DVI-D socket doesn't have the holes for these pins, the male DVI-I plug won't fit in it.

There's the rub. As I understand it the four little pins around the blade carry the analogue signal in a DVI-I system.

With the same thinking as Mutley suggested I have already ordered a £1.50 DVI-D to VGA adaptor on order which should arrive tomorrow. I don't expect it will work. I will report back. The low profile graphics card looks a good option.

Id go for the new monitor as a decent 22" HD unit now costs around 100 and its unlikely that an older vga only unit will have close to this resolution.

Dvi can be a minefield, As its not one but several standards, there isnt really such a thing as dvi, rather dvi d - digital only , Dvi a - basically vga only on a dvi and the most usefull DVi I which is both and will give useabe vga or for that matter hdmi with a ebay poundshop convertor. Unfortunately some inputs/ outputs are DVI D only and wont allow you to plug in dvi I cables due to the extra pins so its worth knowing your Is from Ds. Apple are particularly annoying for describing dvi d as dvi leading to frustration and extreme cases of onsite need the removal of pins from cables to get them to fit

Archived