Magnets

w/robe

I have some disk magnets which I want to use to fasten some army webbing, the magnets connecting to the buckles. If I double them up so that there are 2 magnets stuck together before they are sewn in does that make them 'stronger'?

I must have known this when I did O'level physics but that is a long time ago.

what country is the webbing from, and what pattern is it?

And would it not be easier just to use the buckles that are already on it? Most actors can cope with buckles, some cant, but most can.

The spanish fly buckles on British Army webbing are robust but a PITA.

Most infantry soldiers have them replaced with big velcro straps and poppers.

Do a search for neodymium on ebay and you'll find lots of powerful magnets in many shapes that can be used as magnetic buttons. Some are specifically designed for that task and some have countersunk holes for using with nuts and bolts or screws.

Yes. Stacking magnets increases the strength, but you can get bigger magnets in your chosen shape on ebay anyway.

One cheap source of really strong (neodymium) magnets which are only about 3mm thick is a computer hard drive. The head armature uses a curved magnet to move. I've just dismantled a couple of laptop hard drives this evening for the magnets!

Strength vs size: They are generally about 25-30mm long by 7-13mm wide. I've just lifted various 500g condiment jars with a 25mm x 7mm laptop HDD head magnet! PC hard drives use bigger, stronger magnets which can lift about 1kg!

http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/image-files/hard-drive-magnet.jpg

In this picture, the magnets are actually bonded to the metal plates because you can't drill or cut neodymium easily, as it's quite brittle.

Thanks for all the replies, the magnets used will be the ones sat on my desk.

what country is the webbing from, and what pattern is it?

And would it not be easier just to use the buckles that are already on it? Most actors can cope with buckles, some cant, but most can.

It is British army.

The 'ghost' of one character (slim) briefly appears US and removes the webbing and puts it on another character (played by a more rotund gentleman)who then fastens it and wears it for some time. The magnets just have to hold for a few seconds as he appears but the belt can not be adjusted to fit both of them.

Two layers of cloth, one won't do much good.

Only one as they attach to the metal already on the belt otherwise the magnet pocket would be visible when the belt was worn properly.

Archived