alternative beside VISCA?

howIam

Hello,

I am searching for a “camera/remote control unit” which are available on market. I see many “camera control units” are using the protocol “VISCA” (rs232). But the most CCUs give no information about the implemented protocol.

Can anyone tell me about an alternative protocol for communication between camera and CCU?

Thanks for help…

From what I have seen, most of the other protocols are propriety for different makes of security camera. While VISCA seems to be used more in 'conference' type cameras and has been adopted a number of different companies who produce same.

I would use VISCA, you will then have a choice of controllers or PC software to control your camera.

Canon also have a similar RS232 protocol for their VC-C4 and VC-C50 cameras, but it isn't the same as VISCA. The details of the protocol are available on the web though.

There are also the Pelco-P and Pelco-D protocols which are pretty standard, these are RS485 rather than RS232.

• 2 weeks later...

it very much depends on your intended purpose for the camera(s)

VISCA is a kind of mid level protocol designed for video conference type applications. Its limited to 7 cameras in a chain. There are a range of joystick controllers for PTZ camera control, ones using the VISCA protocol come in at around £1000

Pelco is a CCTV protocol - it works over longer distances than VISCA and doesn't have a 7 camera limit. Controllers for pelco are much cheaper than VISCA controllers.

Proper broadcast systems use much more complex protocols as the CCU has to control many more options that are specific to the camera. 3rd party control systems (from the likes of telemetrics) generally have their own protocol for hothead positioning and use the standard broadcast lens control spec, often they provide a pass through for the camera remote so the camera manufacturers RCPs can be interfaced into the system.

There is also AMX which has camera control abilities built into its protocol.

Archived