Problems with Isopatch CPJ48

davey

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a slight problem we seem to be having with our new :) patch bay. It was installed as part of a general theatre refit and has been barely used (ie a 3 day school production). It is a Signex Isopatch CPJ48. It is the version with hardwired, so bypassing it is proving difficult, as tearing it apart does not seem a good idea :(. There is nothing obviously wrong with it, but I was wondering if there were any common problems with these I should know about, or if anyone can direct me to a useful troubleshooting guide - the short manual isn't helpful. Of course, it could just be wired up wrong (wouldn't surprise me :D)

you have said you have got a problem with it already in the title yet you havent actually explained what the problem is and then suggested it might have been wired up wrongly.

can you explain the problem you are having, or isn't there a problem and you want to know of any?

Matt.

can you explain the problem you  are having, or isn't there a problem and you want to know of any?

Matt.

My apologies. Very simple problem: Nothing's coming out of the patch bay. Tried every input with every output (using equipment we know works): Nothing. Tried taking a signal out of the sources row: Nothing. No obvious loose connections, nothing obviously wrong - except nothing's coming out. It was also looked at exstensively by another technician prior to this. Nothing. Hopefully this'll clarify things a bit (not that it probably will).

ok... thanks

as you said there, no obvious loose connections but dry joints in solder can be very misl-eadin and time consuming to find.

I am not sure getting it wired in the wrong way could be the problem unless it is severely incorrectly wired, reversing of the polarity would really do much, just give an unbalanced sound out of the speakers.

but as you said you tried every in with every out (must have taken some time I give you that!) with known working equipment yet still nothing.

with that said the obvious point would be has it been totally wired up wrongly and needs re-installing or could be one of those annoying little dry joints (which I doubt would stop the whole bay working)

have you tried contacting the manufacturer's help desk/technical support??? they might be able to offer some more assistance - or is it one of those annoyingly long distance calls to india?

Matt.

Can you just run through what you are doing with the bay please? Are you taking a signal in to the back (from the stage or whatever) then out to a desk from the front, or what? Not doubting you, just trying to get a clear picture!! If you are going in at the back, expecting the signal to come out the back on the other row without patchcables, you need to "normalize" that pair of sockets. This is done sith a solder blob on the top circuitboard.

I can't find much info on the www beyond "We don't have a website" and;

Signex UK Ltd, 21A Hankinson Road, Bournemouth, BH9 1HJ, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1202 247000

Fax: +44 (0)1202 247001

Email: mail@signex.com

"If you are going in at the back, expecting the signal to come out the back on the other row without patchcables, you need to "normalize" that pair of sockets. This is done sith a solder blob on the top circuitboard."

which is explained how to do on thhe sound on sound website if you google it...

Normalise

Scroll about halfway down.

Matt.

If you are going in at the back, expecting the signal to come out the back on the other row without patchcables, you need to "normalize" that pair of sockets.

No, we're using patch cables, no idea what normalising the installers might have deemed necessary (it seems to have been a pretty crazy refit)

I can't think of anything that would nail a whole patchfield! :D

Can you get to the back? Check that the earth (screen) is connected to pin 1, + (maybe red) to 2 and - (maybe black) to pin 3. For pin read terminal for hardwired. As I can't find a pic on the web, I'm guessing that each channel has it's own terminals.

Can you check for continuity with a multimeter?

(Not knowing what you know, please forgive me if all this is too simplistic)

Just wondering (you can probably tell I know nothing about patchbays!) if my bay has any kind of PSU which might have become disconnected - it would be obvious, but as you can see, I installed none of this (I'm kind of new to all this :D), and the whole cabinet is fed by a spur, making it hard to tell (kind of new? I don't have a clue). Just thinking that that might have knocked it out, and I can't check because I'm nowhere near any of this equipment at the moment.

Sorry for blabbering on

most patch bays dont really require power from my experience, and andrew by the sounds from the SOS review on it uses ribbonn cables (probably the grey or multicoloured type) to connect everything together with multi-pin connecters (bit like a pc ide cable) which then you have no real chance of checking things tbh.

can you physically remove the patch bay from the cabinet?? if so then it would be blindingly obvious that the unit required any form of power, unless its actually hard wired into a stage box...?

Matt.

most patch bays dont really require power from my experience, and andrew by the sounds from the SOS review on it uses ribbonn cables (probably the grey or multicoloured type) to connect everything together with multi-pin connecters (bit like a pc ide cable) which then you have no  real chance of checking things tbh.

can you physically remove the patch bay from the cabinet?? if so then it would be blindingly obvious that the unit required any form of power, unless its actually hard wired into a stage box...?

Matt.

Firstly I was thinking of buzzing through from jack to jack. The ribbons will all be internal, between to top & bottom circuit boards. If it is hardwired, getting it out to open it up would be a mare!

However, the reference to power has got me wondering; is Davy sure of the model number? Signex do make a cross point controlled patchbay. If it's one of those, it will need power, and probably programming to make it do what you want. I've never used one so couldn't begin to tell you how... Might be worth a quick check.

well, if it says isopatch and it looks like

this

http://media.venda.com/dv247/ebiz/digitalvillage/invt/24260/24260_m.jpg

or

http://www.avinternacional.com/signex/fotos/isopatch63_p.jpg

then all I can suggest is make sure you are using the right cords, and make sure they are pushed right in. PO Jacks might look line B type but won't make the same contact.

The only problems normally with jackfields are, dirty jacks (normaly noticed by things going one leged first...) or the wrong jacks being used.

Good Luck

James

Archived