3Ch LED dimmer

timtheenchanteruk

I'm shortly going to be making an LED sign, only red LEDs, but want 3 ch of them to chase etc.

Been looking online, and there re 2 types that spring up alot.

these unit only ones.

and these ful unit jobbies.

The first one looks ok, except there (looks to be) no DMX out,which would limit its positioning in the DMX chain.

second looks to have DMX out, but alot bulkier than I want/need

does anyone know of anything suitable? ideally something of a known quality too (rather than the hong kong import), its not going to be throw away prop but its not going to be in regular use either (2 or 3 times a year at most)

The first one looks ok, except there (looks to be) no DMX out,which would limit its positioning in the DMX chain.

Its simple to add a DMX out to it, you literally just pass through the pins from the DMX in XLR to a DMX out XLR ignoring the unit. This is how most of the lights pass the data through, with only a few reprocessing it, the other unit you showed will also just be a link through, no re-processing.

1 -----|--------- DMX data used
      |
2 -----|-|------- DMX data used
      | |
3 -----|-|-|----- DMX data used
      | | |
1 -----| | |
      	 | |
2 -------| |
          |
3 ---------|

Hopefully that diagram helps, the 1, 2 and 3 are the pins in and out.

EDIT: Mods can you sort out the diagram as it looks fine in the editor but as I post it removes the extra spaces to align the cables. Many thanks, Tom :)

Moderation: Fixed, although unfortunately you can't have colours and ASCII art.

Note that in the first unit you linked to you cant change the DMX address unless you get a programming box.

These devices are incredibly popular with the Christmas Light crowd, who buy them from Ray Wu's Store on Ali Express, and Ray also sells the programmer. No connection other than a happy customer etc.

Milford are also pretty local to us Tim. I used one of their DMX - servo boards for my Rose and Pigeons. They rushed me the board when I was let down by another company. Very helpful and nice people. If work takes you that way, you may even save the postage.

Archived