QLab MIDI Control

Mat

Hello. For an upcoming production at the school I work for I am looking into controlling the sound using the QLab MIDI control tools. I'm a lampy and so haven't the foggiest idea about sound desks other than they make noise happen. What type of a sound desk do I need to look for to hire for the production to be able to effectively execute MIDI commands from QLab?

Budget is £4,000 for the whole show and expected turnover is expected to be just over £4,500 so money is not really an issue.

Hello. For an upcoming production at the school I work for I am looking into controlling the sound using the QLab MIDI control tools. I'm a lampy and so haven't the foggiest idea about sound desks other than they make noise happen. What type of a sound desk do I need to look for to hire for the production to be able to effectively execute MIDI commands from QLab?

Budget is £4,000 for the whole show and expected turnover is expected to be just over £4,500 so money is not really an issue.

Hi http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

QLab is just an audio playback device (whether MIDI or manual control).....think of like iTunes. All it does is play back pre-recorded audio (MP3s, WMAs etc).

A sound desk is a control surface used to mix multiple inputs to a single output (in its most basic form), so for example it could be mixing a number of microphones into one set of speakers. Because of this, the fact that you are using QLab under MIDI control is pretty irrelevant as to the type of mixer. The deciding factor would be whether you plan to use any form of microphone, and how many.

If, for example, you wanted to use 4 radio mic's plus Qlab, then something like this would do the job (although for level control I prefer faders to knobs, but you catch my drift). If you wanted 6 radio mics plus QLab then the model up would do nicely, etc. With this particular desk, the white fader will control the level (or volume) of each of your microphones, and one of the blue faders will control the level (or volume) of QLab.

Does this help? I suppose to use a lighting analogy, a lighting desk emits a signal and a microphone would be the sound equivalent - all it does is emit a signal which is then interpreted by other equipment. A sound desk mixes multiple inputs, so I guess the lighting equivalent would be a DMX merger - numerous inputs leading to a single output.

I'm sure many people will disagree with that analogy, but it's the closest thing I could think of http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Hope this Helps,

Charlie

EDIT: Just noticed the bit about executing MIDI commands from the sound desk..... What is your reasoning for doing it this way? I can't think of any mixing desks that emit MIDI commands themselves, however a small MIDI keyboard (M-Audio being the obvious choice to me) might work....

What exactly do you mean when you say "looking into controlling the sound using the QLab MIDI control tools"? Could you elaborate on what you are trying to achieve please? We might be able to help a little better if we know what you want to do.

Do you mean controlling snapshot changes and mic mutes for a musical, if so you need a digital desk that will receive program change messages (or in the case of mic mutes, an analogue desk with midi controlled mutes). Think yamaha, soundcraft, A&H, whichever your local hire company has in stock, talk to them, they might even be able to help and advise you. If you don't have a local hire company, talk to Stage Sound Services in Cardiff, they are very good and helpful.

If you are looking to control individual faders with midi note or sysex commands, then you need a yamaha digital desk. All of their faders, buttons and knobs can be controlled by midi, it's just a question of working out which commands you need to use.

You will also need an appropriate Qlab license from figure53, either pro midi if it is just midi you want, or pro bundle if you want multitrack audio as well as midi.

And incidently you can send midi messages out of digital desks, quite often it is the method of controlling show control, the PM5D has a big user assignable button close to the VCA's that can be programmed to spit out a midi command, that enables it to be used as a go button. Other desks have different solutions, most will be able to emit a program change command on snapshot change.

Neil

neil you have the right idea. I am looking to be able to control microphone changes for a musical through Qlab. I shall look into speaking with the people you suggested.

Thanks!

In that case I apologise - I got the wrong end of the stick http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Why through qlab?

Most digital desks allow you to program and record scenes, and recall them as and when.

The scenes can have whatever closing and opening of mic channels you want, and well as any changes to eq ect ect.

Is there any other reason your adding in qlab?

Its perfectly possible to automate a digital mixer from a computer, but whether it is advantageous for you to do so depends on a bunch of things, including what you need to acheive, how many bodies are around, and how you like to manage your show.

The way I work is I run everything that involves electricity to do with the show, so I have one computerised controller for everything (lighting, sound effects, effects, cue lights), and that includes recalling scenes and automating mutes on the sound desk. I'm just a little guy that does little shows, but thanks to the march of technology this technology is available to amateurs and schools if they want to make use of it.

Pretty much every digital desk I've seen has MIDI inputs, though an O2R I hired had a buggered MIDI in which really ruined my plans; as 99% of folks dont automate digital desks from MIDI the input may be busted for years (or indeed straight from the factory) and no-one ever notices :(

Heres a tiny automated setup in a 50 seat theatre; you dont get a lot of space for stuff in the auditorium in that scale of venue!

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/pp_desk.jpg

Archived