Flags!

jj_whitestick

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help me - I'm part of a bijou outdoor music festival up north, (couple of stages and some tents) in the autumn, and as part of the setup I was looking to put in about 12 flagpoles to mark out different areas - Is there a quick easy way to do this that looks nice and wont be in danger of toppling onto crowds? I'm thinking they might be about 5m tall with a 'T' bar clamped across the top for the flag (which will just be cable tied).

Thanks for your help.

JJ

you can get really tall fiberglass flagpoles, which will bend at the top into a tear drop shape so you can have a banner type flag. They are pretty light and just have a 1m stake which goes half into the ground and half into the bottom of the pole to keep them up. The are also telescopic so can be transported easily. They are mainly designed for advertising, so you can have flags printed to go with them.

Hi,

If you get a fence post hammer basher type thing like the one here you can drive a length of scaffold into the ground. If you leave about a metre of pole above ground you can then attach the required length of scaffold parallel to it with 2 scaff swivel couplers for the flag pole.

Of course the length of scaff above and below ground will be specific to your circumstances and those of the site, and the conditions of the ground.

You will find you need to protect the fittings at the base with something to stop people bashing themselves on them. Maybe this can be something artistic.

Jack

One thing I shall add to this is to ensure there are no services in the ground where you want to put your flag poles in. I have seen on a number of occasions people trying to drive a scaff pole into a 4inch cast iron sewer, luckily they stopped before it broke, but it could easily have been the three phase cable 1metre away!! Many farms etc will lay water pipes etc relatively shallow and have them un charted so beware!

I forgot to mention earlier that I have seen people climb up scaff flag poles like these so please be aware that that may be an issue. Good security can help avoid this. It's all the more alarming if there's some festoon lighting strung up at the top and the pole looks like its going to topple!

Jack

One thing I shall add to this is to ensure there are no services in the ground where you want to put your flag poles in. I have seen on a number of occasions people trying to drive a scaff pole into a 4inch cast iron sewer, luckily they stopped before it broke, but it could easily have been the three phase cable 1metre away!! Many farms etc will lay water pipes etc relatively shallow and have them un charted so beware!

more worrying would be a gas main. The man in charge of safety at Glastonbury told us that the gas main serving the west of England runs under one of the camping fields there, and was less than a metre from the surface at some points. He then showed us an aerial photo of somewhere else (can't remember where, another rural location, possibly not in the UK) where the gas main had been ruptured by a JCB digger. Of the digger, there was no sign. This was because it had been vapourized. The crater was reminiscent of the huge mines exploded below the German lines on the Western Front during WW1.

(who says H&S seminars at PLASA can't be interesting?)

Yeah, watcvh out for big gas pipes. They can be pressurised to 150 bar.

Years ago the landscape was littered with gasometers, now they just use the piping system as a storage system, pump up the pressure and the gas is stored away.

Source: Ex-colleague some years ago, who did networking for British Gas, who apparently have the third largest microwave network in the UK.

http://leonsteyn.blo...-pipe-whos.html

He then showed us an aerial photo of somewhere else (can't remember where, another rural location, possibly not in the UK) where the gas main had been ruptured by a JCB digger. Of the digger, there was no sign. This was because it had been vapourized. The crater was reminiscent of the huge mines exploded below the German lines on the Western Front during WW1.

this one?

Saw 20-30 fairly big (6m ish) 'bent pole type' banners completely ripped to shreds at a small festival a few weeks ago... ...and I dont remember it being that windy either :blink:.

Hopefully most of them are a bit more 'wind resistant', but this is definitely something to watch out for :P

http://leonsteyn.blo...-pipe-whos.html

He then showed us an aerial photo of somewhere else (can't remember where, another rural location, possibly not in the UK) where the gas main had been ruptured by a JCB digger. Of the digger, there was no sign. This was because it had been vapourized. The crater was reminiscent of the huge mines exploded below the German lines on the Western Front during WW1.

this one?

I believe it was...

Archived