Old Strand Lights

fireball40k

We've just taken these bad boys (1 and 2) out of our local arts centre and I wondered about their history. I can't find them on the Strand Archive - does anyone know their name/number so that I have something to search on? The nameplates show Strand's address as 24 Floral Street, London. When did they move out of there?

Many thanks

Steve

If they are 3 circuits they are Patt 63 or 4 circuits Patt 64

The factory moved out to Power Road Chiswick before the war but the base stayed in and around Covent Garden until it all moved out to Brentford ?1969/70? 24 Floral Street remains as do some of the firm's other premises. If you go along to the Carriage Yard and look at the windows there it's obvious that they are those in very early pix of the Strand Sheet Metal shop. They moved round to King Street also before the war but I bet if they had zillions of plates with Floral Street on them an old style firm like that would simply use them up making dating from them uncertain. However if they do not have the Roundel on them somewhere they could be quite old I would think - these look as if they have been re-wired relatively recently though.

The really interesting thing is that as the housing was designed to be flown from a bar, but also to be used as footlights, on the floor - so the end section is very familiar - the very shape so many monitor loudspeaker manufacturers 'invented' quite a few years after these lights were popular. Just proves nothing is truly new.

Although these battens were not the brightest things in the world, the reflectors do a pretty nice job of blending and were very good at nice even illumination and washing cloths.

The really interesting thing is that as the housing was designed to be flown from a bar, but also to be used as footlights, on the floor - so the end section is very familiar - the very shape so many monitor loudspeaker manufacturers 'invented' quite a few years after these lights were popular. Just proves nothing is truly new.

?Query? Did they supply the hanging brackets and the floor stands, which were fitted at times, as spares so you could customise as you wished or did you have to buy a batten or a float to get the right fixtures?

For footlights most people used them flat on the floor, or in the front trough, if there was one. The floor stand that was available enabled different angles of tilt for use as ground rows. The basic S type was a constant. On the Strand Archive, the footlight they show under the S type is a different unit, slightly older. The reflectors in the S type are dimpled to soften the light a little. The brackets and stands were available as spare parts - as were every single bit. In those days, everything was meant to last years, so every little bit could be ordered if you needed them! The ones you have look in great condition - if you have space, hang on to them.

Not quite right - the S-battens weren't part of the "pattern" range - they're just S/63 (or S/64 for four-circuit).

I must be getting old - but then it is a long time ago. And I am getting old...

Interestingly though I was at the CFT for Singing in the Rain recently and looking up at the grid I reckon about half of what was hanging there was Benthamite! Oh yes and if it goes to London don't miss it.

Not quite right - the S-battens weren't part of the "pattern" range - they're just S/63 (or S/64 for four-circuit).

I must be getting old - but then it is a long time ago. And I am getting old...

Interestingly though I was at the CFT for Singing in the Rain recently and looking up at the grid I reckon about half of what was hanging there was Benthamite! Oh yes and if it goes to London don't miss it.

I'm still using some S64 - rewired, as floats.

Archived