Who does rope splicing?

Will_Tech

If it's ordinary 3 strand laid (twisted) rope, it's very quick and easy to splice it yourself. I have reasonable success teaching scouts (10-14yr olds) to do it. Takes a little practice to keep it neat, but the principle is simple enough.

Braided rope is a different technique, which I haven't needed to do myself, but again it's not complicated.

There's videos on youtube of both rope types, which may be a bit easier to follow than a book.

I'm sure for a donation to their costs, your local scout group or navy cadets would help!

But it only took my dad (who's an ex-scoutmaster) a total of 20 minutes to teach me how to do an eye-splice and an end-splice!

But if you still want to get the professionals in, Marlow Ropes are probably the biggest name in ropes in the UK - they are the nominated supplier to the MoD, and supply any type of rope, with whatever you want attached, with splice as required.

Thanks for all the replies. The ropes are going to be spliced to eyelets on fly bars, so it's not something I want to have a bash at after looking through the book I'm afraid. The scouts sound like a good idea tho. I'm in Worksop, in Nottinghamshire. I'm not looking to have it done straight away, more towards December time.

Thanks,

Will

Mark S is indeed correct that we do offer a splicing service. Recent clients have included The Honey Monster Factory, Aldwych Theatre, and new hemp sets for the Oldham Coliseum and The Adelphi.

If you want to have a look at the rather unusual Honey Monster job then click HERE It was a most interesting job and shows how a hard eye should be spliced with a proper sailmakers whipping at the split and the thimble lashed in rather than stuck with some PVC tapelike some people.

If you want to discuss feel free to email me. richard@flints.co.uk

Archived