Problem with storing info on a memory stick

Wingwalker

Hi all,

I've had a quick look around here but couldn't find an easy answer.

Someone was saying to me yesterday that they were experiencing difficulties loading cues onto a memory stick from a Zero88 desk (Jester I think) where the stick has a memory size greater than 2Gb.

It would appear that if the stick has a memory capacity larger than 2Gb then no information can be written onto, or read from the stick and hence is unusable. I know that this doesn't make logical sense so I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem and if so, what they had managed to do to rectify the issue?

Many thanks,

David.

Someone was saying to me yesterday that they were experiencing difficulties loading cues onto a memory stick from a Zero88 desk (Jester I think) where the stick has a memory size greater than 2Gb.

It would appear that if the stick has a memory capacity larger than 2Gb then no information can be written onto, or read from the stick and hence is unusable. I know that this doesn't make logical sense so I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem and if so, what they had managed to do to rectify the issue?

It possibly requires the filesystem of the memory card to be formatted as FAT16 (or FAT12). FAT16 has a 2G limit so anything larger is formatted as FAT32 which older non-computery stuff might not be too happy with. Some media might be able to be partitioned into multiple 2G partitions which might be recognised but a lot of flash media cannot.

Kingston has an FAQ page which might possibly be helpful:

http://www.kingston.com/support/flashmemorycards/cf-s.asp

David.

There are any number of appliances, from digital cameras to music players to mobile phones, as well as lighting desks, that have a 2 Gig limit on the memory cards / USB dongles that they can use. Remember, when this stuff was new, a 2 Gig storage device would have cost around £40! Luckily, it's becoming much less of a problem with newer kit - and the cards are much cheaper.

I guess the question is: What happens when 2GB sticks start to become rare? As storage costs drop, capacity is going to increase, and we'll start finding that only 4GB/8GB/16GB etc are commonly available. Is there some magical way (sort of like fdisk) to repartition it so that it appears as < 2GB?

What happens when 2GB sticks start to become rare?

You might ask the same question about other obsolete storage media used by various lighting desks - like floppy disks, or the battery-backed memory cards used by Pulsar Masterpiece desks (the desks are still in production, although the memory cards haven't been made for nearly a decade, which may be why Pulsar can get away with charging £70 for just 128MB of storage!)

Fact is, there are so many 2G sticks already in circulation, and adaptors that let you use SD cards in a USB stick, the lighting desk hardware will become obsolete before there's any chance of them being impossible to find - although you may have to pay a bit more as they get rarer! If you're worried, stock up on a few now...

To bring it back round to the Jester again I've had a gander at the release notes for the Jester's software and a couple of resolved issues stick out a bit from the release notes:

Version 3.1: JES-2083

New USB Host firmware (03.64) for the r2 hardware improves compatibility with certain

makes and models of USB memory sticks. Upgrade from the USB Host menu in Super

User.

Version 3.2: JES-2509

New USB Host firmware (03.66) for the r2 hardware improves compatibility with storage

devices and now rejects NTFS formatted volumes. Upgrade from USB Host menu in

Super User.

So it's possible the issue might be related to a compatibility issue with the larger memory sticks rather than a 2G file limit in this particular case, it's always worth reading through the software update release notes for any hardware where you hit issues like this as even with the digital camera examples above there were firmware updates that allowed cameras to use cards larger than 2G.

David.

And I apologise for dragging this thread too far off topic (Please feel free to delete me oh magnificent Moderators)

How many of us have carefully packaged up our vinyl records, taken great care of them, so that *cough* years down the line, they are perfectly playable. (Apart from the fact that we have all thrown away our turntables, so that we can't actually play them?)

Jim

Archived