MagicQ Linked Cue copies

gafferted

Forgive me if this is obvious but I can't find it in the manual...

When using the same cue/state several times in a show or cue stack i.e. making a linked copy of a cue, if I change the fade time of the cue it gets changed for all instances of that cue. Whilst this makes sense in terms of a "linked copy", this is not always what's needed as sometimes you might want a slow fade in, and at others a quick one. I don't want to make unlinked copies, since I want to be able to edit the particular state, and have this reflected for every instance of that cue/state in the stack.

So my question is, is it possible for the fade times to maybe relate to the cue ID in the stack, as opposed to the cue itself, so that a several linked copies of the same cue can be used, but with different fade times.

Thanks in anticipation

Eddie

Sounds about right. Its linked or its not. On a slight tangent, does anyone else find it a bit odd that by default, copy makes a linked copy? I wish it made unlinked, and shift + copy made a linked copy. Seems that would make far more sense.

I quite like that it makes linked copies by default - but that's probably because the only environment I've used MagicQ in so far is with live music. So I'm likely to want 5 of the same verse state, and 5 of the same chorus state for a song, for example.

Having said that, it did irk me when I tried to change the timing of a cue and it changed for every linked cue in the song! Totally expected behaviour...but it just didn't occur to me until it happened.

I agree - totally expected behaviour.

I suppose the question I was really asking (albeit a bit indirectly!) was, "has anyone found a good way to do this?"

Maybe putting the cue you want on a virtual playback and activating it with a Cue Stack Macro is the answer?

I don't have access to the software right now but I'll try it later.

Archived