New Headmic suggestions

toby

Hi guys,

Weve come to the time to buy some new head mics, we currently use a mixture of the shure Wh20 range and the da cappo DA 12 -45 db attenuation (show/venue depending.)

Reason for not direct replacement - the da cappos sound great, attenuation is great and are comfy and popular with performers, physical connections is our issue the cable is too flimsy, and yes easy to replace but not fee-sable option.

the shures well to put it bluntly just to big, we want to go down the option of low profile.

Ideally we need the connection to be interchangeable as currently running the shure ur1's and look to be switching to sennis for the switchover.

we demoed a countryman mic recently, cant remember the model, but the only way I can think to describe it - the mic head looked like a coffee stirrer. Sounded pretty good, attenuation was nice, just a bit too big. The budget is around £250-£350 a peice with look to buy around 10 - 15.

The application varies, but they need to be very strong & durable and stay on as some shows involve flips and fast choreography,

open to ideas but lapels not an option.

hope ive given enough info,

cheers

Toby

I can't think which model of Countryman looks like a coffee stirrer but you should definitely consider their E6 range. It's available in both omni and cardioid patterns and with single ear and two ear headbands. They also do the E2 but I have no personal experience of that model.

The other manufacturer to check is DPA. Their 4065/66/67 omni mics or 4088 cardioid are all excellent products.

Countryman and DPA are pretty much the "gold standard" of headset mics--lovely sound and a tiny, inconspicuous size.

Bob

Hello, I seem to becoming a champion of alternate make equipment but you seem to have a large budget so why not try one ypa headset it will cost you about £22 (search ypa on ebay) I have used them next to Senns with no noticeable difference in use. They are "two ear" mics and can be bent to each performers size so that they really cling. Also they do a model with five leads to suit different makes of radio mic. I expect the "brand police" will be down on me like a ton of bricks !!!

Regards

Kevin

There is no doubt that the cheaper microphones offer fantastic value for money. And we have dicussed this many times before here. But if you are looking for something a little better

Consider:

Cable strength

Cable size

Cable flexibility

How well does the microphone fit

How well does the microphone stay on?

Visual appearance

Size of boom

Size of mic element

Colour too light??

Flexibility of boom, headband

Durability

Where does the cable exit from?

Most importantly, spl before clipping, even a good am dram singer can need a mic that is 145 spl before clipping!

A big second to Bobbsy - the DPA and countryman's are great. Just think about the input SPL, it's alarmingly easy to overload the capsule of an E6 so get the most padded one you can if you're working on a loud show.

Don't buy a microphone madness headset though! they sound OK for the price bracket but the boom is too flexible and won't stay in position and the quality of the cable is poor - you will be re-terminating them on a regular basis.

A big second to Bobbsy - the DPA and countryman's are great. Just think about the input SPL, it's alarmingly easy to overload the capsule of an E6 so get the most padded one you can if you're working on a loud show.

Don't buy a microphone madness headset though! they sound OK for the price bracket but the boom is too flexible and won't stay in position and the quality of the cable is poor - you will be re-terminating them on a regular basis.

I've just re-ordered more Microphone Madness earloop mics and they have changed the connectors and increaed the strength of the cable - will see what they are like next week when they arrive.

I've not found any major issues with the flexible booms as long as sensible taping (Micropore or Transpore) is used.

Bearing in mind they are about £70 each at the moment I've few complaints.

I would love to own a set of DPAs but canot justify the cost - I notice Rode have a headset out now - not used one but if it's anywhere near as good as their other mics it'll be a cracker

Ian

Archived