help, amp speakers crisis

tomchennells

obviously the whole point of me having the new amp is to get more volume, regardless of if I use one pair or two

One thing to bear in mind is that amplifier power isn't linear.

For example, to make your rig twice as loud you'd actually need 10 times as much amp power.

out of curiosity, from the amp spec on my first post could any of you tell me if the amp would blow one pair on their own into oblivion ?

depends on what you stick through it.

Most speaker damage comes from overheating - when they die totally, or over excursioning when the back-forwards movement of the cone exceeds the limits of the design. Heap too much bottom end is usually the cause here - overheating is normally caused by distorted input with flat top, maximum current peaks rather than a quality signal of a slightly too high level. Oddly eq'd music that over emphasises certain frequencies present in the mix doesn't help either. Most of the truly damaging inputs to the speakers sound bad to the ear, before they've had a chance to do permanent damage. So just watch for distortion that is piercing to the ear and sort it before the loudspeakers do it for you. I frequently run systems with amps capable of two or three times the amount the speakers are rated at. I've never destroyed any. A mate of mine blew the LF drivers on a Peavy eurosys with a 100w p/c amp - driving it flat out!

p

thort id let you know how I got on - the amp arived late last night and I set it up this morning after a dodgy speakon connection into the wrong pin was fixed I was ready to go!

plugged the cabs in in mono as sugested turned it up and heard no hiss atall, thort this was kinda wierd but pressed playt and it unleashed an awsome sound! so clean for a dj amplifier, cant recomend it enough, I cant hear any unwanted noise to the systym atall, really chuffed thanks for your help guys

oh I bought all gold jack leads ! :D

- tom

Archived