Patt 123 for a lamp at home.

cibj88

Hi guys,

I've just come into a Patt 123 that I want to convert into a 13amp floor lamp for my living room, preferably with a dimmer switch in it. I'm a complete novice at this stuff and I'm looking for some advice as I'm guessing its not quite as straight forward as just sticking a 13amp plug on the end.

Cheers guys

Well, it would work that way, but with a theatre type lamp in, it may be a bit bright. You may want to consider replacing the lamp base with something more domestic-friendly; doing this will also mean that you're not going to be spending £14 on a P28 base 500W lamp next time it blows!

Well, it would work that way, but with a theatre type lamp in, it may be a bit bright. You may want to consider replacing the lamp base with something more domestic-friendly; doing this will also mean that you're not going to be spending £14 on a P28 base 500W lamp next time it blows!

Sound reasonable, how about the dimmer switch?

If you want a good bright light, then the lantern may be used as is, the rather high cost of lamps being of little concern if it is not used much.

If however the lamp and electricity costs rule this out, then change the lampholder to either a d0m3stic one or to a 12 volt halogen.

I have converted these to 12 volt halogen vehicle headlight bulbs, worked from a suitable transformer, these are cheap and long lasting and being compact focus well, unlike most d0m3stic 240 volt lamps.

Conversion is simple, but I advise seeking help from an experienced electrician if you are new to this sort of thing.

Just a note, just n case your not aware, and are doing this mod, well just cause you can and you have the fixture lying around.

vintage strand fixtures are worth a pretty penny on eBay (and there are quite a few topics on here demonstrating the ludacrest prices) Even dirty, and used straight out of a theater.

Plenty of 500W dimmer switches around if you want to keep it original, I had one in my bedroom when I was 16. Then I discovered girls and didn't need it any more.

I'm very happy for you.

Just a note, just n case your not aware, and are doing this mod, well just cause you can and you have the fixture lying around.

vintage strand fixtures are worth a pretty penny on eBay (and there are quite a few topics on here demonstrating the ludacrest prices) Even dirty, and used straight out of a theater.

Yeah I'm fully aware of how much they can be worth, I've wanted one for years, there such a classic design was very happy to be gifted one at last! I will be changing the lamp fitting to something slightly more domestic and more economical.

Cheers for the help folks

Are you thinking of using the original lamp and a dimmer ?

A bit of over kill.

But It maintains the value of the unit, if it is original.

Otherwise find a defunct lamp,

Carefully remove the base, and mount a standard lamp base in it.

This way you can use smaller house hold lamps

with a much lower wattage.

And because you have not modified the luminere,

It still maintains its value.

Very practicule.

Archived