Lightweight case for 01v96

Alec

So, looks like I might plump for an 01V96...

But am keen to keep the weight down if possible, which means looking at the best case option. The mixer isn't going to suffer a hard life, so doesn't need a full flight case by any means. I'm rather disappointed to see that there doesn't appear to be an ABS case option for the 01V96 - unless anyone else can (hopefully) prove me wrong...

Gator do one.

Thanks for that. Doesn't look great, though, as a rack case would probably be best. Doesn't look like it'd be practical to use the mixer in the case, which is a bit of a shame. And surprisingly heavy at ca 10kg.

It's a shame that the 01V96 is *just* bigger than 12U, so presumably won't fit in any of the conventional 12U top cases. (Unless anyone else knows better....)

Are you sure you don't want a flightcase? Are you trying to avoid the expense or just the weight?

I don't think you're going to get much weight savings from a suitable plastic hardcase. The 01v96 weighs around 15kg. It's hardly particularly light on its own- twice the weight of most rackmount mixers, and dense enough to make the thinner sort of moulded plastic case or insufficently rigid foam a serious liability if actually dropped.

A normal hexaboard flightcase would weigh less than 10Kg. The one I got from Swan for an old 01v96 only weighs around 8. Do you need the case for transport or for protection aginst dust & muppets when not in use at a particular location?

Some of the SKB rotomoulded cases are probably lighter. But the mixer-sized ones are _seriously_ expensive (> £250). Maybe a Peli case in an appropriate size, but they're also overkill, being both expensive and waterproof.

I think the surface of the 01v96 is a genuine 12U but the rear panel sticks out slightly. Remember it's only 8mm over 12U and most 12U mixer rack cases leave a bit more clearance than that for cables and connectors. That may not apply for cases with pop-up rack frames though.

I think the surface of the 01v96 is a genuine 12U but the rear panel sticks out slightly. Remember it's only 8mm over 12U and most 12U mixer rack cases leave a bit more clearance than that for cables and connectors. That may not apply for cases with pop-up rack frames though.

I used one of those 12U pop up plastic cases worked well enough but really not very protective at all during transit, I worried about it in the back of the van. I would get a wooden foam lined case if it is going on the road.

Thanks for the feedback, all much appreciated.

While it will be good not to spend too wildly, the main thing I'm trying to avoid is extreme added weight & bulk. This is kit that will travel just with me, and only by car, with the rest of my compact PA (RCF ART 722 & 710) & band stuff.

Had realised how heavy the 01V96 is, and for that reason am keen to add as little weight/bulk as possible (I'm a wuss).

Think maybe I'll settle for the Swan cheapo flightcase, as it's about as small/light as they seem to get - and should be a little more robust. And I guess it also saves me the hassle of needing to make up rack ears for the mixer. So, you were happy with that as a case, generally?

Think maybe I'll settle for the Swan cheapo flightcase, as it's about as small/light as they seem to get - and should be a little more robust. And I guess it also saves me the hassle of needing to make up rack ears for the mixer. So, you were happy with that as a case, generally?

The Swan case is perfectly OK. Bought off eBay new for £96.99 with shipping. Cheaper than their website.

Only real complaint is that mine (and the ones on their website too) have the butterfly catch on the base, not the lid, so you're left with the catch to snag on things after you remove the lid. The PU foam also isn't quite as rigid as the large-cell stuff used by Spider Engineering/Flightcasewarehouse. I think it's 6.5mm/7mm rather than 9mm hexaboard as well, but that tends to be typical for cases this size. None of this has been a problem in practice.

PM me if you want a set of rack rails instead. I have some lying around that I have no current use for.

• 1 month later...

The Swan case is perfectly OK. Bought off eBay new for £96.99 with shipping. Cheaper than their website.

PM me if you want a set of rack rails instead. I have some lying around that I have no current use for.

Thanks for that, have now ordered. Their website & ebay prices are now the same, sadly. But still way cheaper than any other option. Appreciate the input - and thanks for the offer of the rack rails, though now obviously not needed.

So, I have my 01V96, which is a very lovely pre-owned one. Loving what it will do, and pretty comfortable with it in relatively little time. Bit of a nightmare getting it to talk to Studio Manager, but think I'm not the first to have that experience. Great configurability. Convinced it's made of lead, mind!

And, please tell me I'm not the only one to forget to return to the Home view before turning up an FX return, therefore sending the FX to itself, resulting in killing feedback. 'Tis a real shame you can't disable aux sends for individual channels, as this is one of the few killer gotchas I could see happening in real life. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with the mixer for the money.

Thanks for that, have now ordered. Their website & ebay prices are now the same, sadly. But still way cheaper than any other option. Appreciate the input - and thanks for the offer of the rack rails, though now obviously not needed.

Thought I'd warn people of another disadvantage of the case, as discovered after longer use. The single carrying handle is attached to the side of the case lid the correct way up- the handle folds out upwards. This makes it easier to up-end the case but leaves the handle hinge on the upper edge of the case lid. This unbalances the case quite badly while carrying it by the handle, enough that I've seen a colleague carry the case in his arms rather than use the handle.

Unfortunately I'm too late as you've ordered the case now....

And, please tell me I'm not the only one to forget to return to the Home view before turning up an FX return, therefore sending the FX to itself, resulting in killing feedback. 'Tis a real shame you can't disable aux sends for individual channels, as this is one of the few killer gotchas I could see happening in real life.

Easy to do, if you've patched it that way. Although you do need to have a chain of minor mis-steps (like having the fx return enabled and above -infinity before going to aux) before you manage to do this. I deliberately avoid ever staying in aux fader mode for this reason. You have to develop a discipline of doing certain things only in one particular order- even though the desk doesn't care which way 'round you do it. Not to mention pressing the home button about 2x as often as you think you need to.

Thought I'd warn people of another disadvantage of the case, as discovered after longer use. The single carrying handle is attached to the side of the case lid the correct way up- the handle folds out upwards. This makes it easier to up-end the case but leaves the handle hinge on the upper edge of the case lid. This unbalances the case quite badly while carrying it by the handle, enough that I've seen a colleague carry the case in his arms rather than use the handle.

Unfortunately I'm too late as you've ordered the case now....

Actually, you're not. I'd already clocked that the handle position didn't look ideal for carrying, and changed to the techno handle, partly as it looked more comfortable, and partly for the very reason you mention. Though, to be honest, I'd almost always be shifting this around on a trolley anyway - I minimise the carrying of heavy stuff as much as I can these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Swanflight case the other day, and thought I'd add feedback here...

The techno handle(an extra £5.50) works a treat and is mounted centrally, so a wise upgrade. Total cost inc shipping was £102.50.

A well made case, and no complaints about its construction. *Just* enough space at the rear to leave a standard IEC cable pluggeed in - but will replace that with a right-angled one as it's right up against the case at the moment (but happy, as that's an inevitable compromise with a compact case - which was just what I wanted.) The case is as compact as is possible for this mixer - perfect!

My only issue was that there was nothing to stop the front edge of the mixer moving upwards if the case was upside down. Called Swannflight who are sending out a foam block to fit in the lid to hold down the front edge - perfect service. And agreement that I'd confirm to them that it works and they'd add that to the pattern for the case.

All round, a top experience, and a good result. I'll post some photos when I get round to it, just in case it's helpful.

Archived