M7CL - Recording?

-Noodles-

Hi,

Sorry for make this my first post - but I got referred here as a place to find owners of M7CLs!

I've got a series of shows coming up where I'm the 'acting' house engineer and the venue has an M7CL, a console that I've not used for a year - and I got the news today that some of the artists want to record their shows which is something that I've never setup on an M7CL.

I have extensively used an LS9 & HD24 for recording.

Today I found out that the desk is connected to stage via their digital MY cards, leaving me 16 omni outputs.

I'm taking my HD24 with me which has both ADAT and 1/4" inputs for use of recording.

I've done a lot of searching and reading, including on this forum, but can't seem to get to the nub of how the digital cards / ethersound / madi all works when it comes to recording & live mixing.

If the MY cards are being used for stage, does this mean that using Ethersound is out of the question?

If they are able to be used, do I need to use the Digigram ethernet card or can I use another?

Is it possible to have ADAT out of the console, or is this another set of MY cards separately installed?

If all else fails, I'll use the 16 omni outputs and route them via XLR - 1/4" snakes into my HD24 - but I'd prefer to use something digital if possible.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance!

Today I found out that the desk is connected to stage via their digital MY cards, leaving me 16 omni outputs.

I'm taking my HD24 with me which has both ADAT and 1/4" inputs for use of recording.

What kind of MY cards, and how many? With 3 digital MY cards you have 48 inputs and 48 outputs. If they are digital network cards, like Ethersound, or Dante, it is unlikely that all the outputs are being used, so you could add a recording device to the network and assign your recording feeds out of the MY cards that are not being used.

In addition to how many of what cards, how many tracks do you need to record?

Mac

What kind of MY cards, and how many? With 3 digital MY cards you have 48 inputs and 48 outputs. If they are digital network cards, like Ethersound, or Dante, it is unlikely that all the outputs are being used, so you could add a recording device to the network and assign your recording feeds out of the MY cards that are not being used.

In addition to how many of what cards, how many tracks do you need to record?

Hi Mac, Thanks for your reply.

I'm not entirely sure of the MY cards, they appear to be network cards - but there are three of them. The desk is the 48 frame version.

The track count isn't altogether so important as most of the bands use 20 channels at the most, so I can reduce them down into stems if I have to (eg; group all the toms). I was expecting to only have 10 omni's to work with, so any more than that will be a bonus.

How would I go about adding a recording device to the network - and does it have to be the Digigram network cards?

Apologies for my ignorance!

Thanks.

How would I go about adding a recording device to the network - and does it have to be the Digigram network cards?

That would depend on what cards they are. There are a few possible audio networks that have MY cards for Yamaha consoles. If it is Ethersound then you can record to a laptop using the AuviTran ASIO Streamer which is a software virtual soundcard.

Mac

Archived