Thomas GP30.5 Tower

jonathanhill

JTE do not publish load tables for their 'Ground Support Tower', can I use this as a horizontal truss and use the GP30.5 load tables

Yes. You can definitely use it as a horizontal truss, and I'm pretty sure the loadings are identical.

I suggest you give them a quick call to verify that second bit. Contact details here.

JTE do not publish load tables for their 'Ground Support Tower', can I use this as a horizontal truss and use the GP30.5 load tables

Yes. You can definitely use it as a horizontal truss, and I'm pretty sure the loadings are identical.

I suggest you give them a quick call to verify that second bit. Contact details here.

Cheers Sean, I was pretty sure that I could, as it actually has more bracing in it than normal GP30.5. I will call to check though, to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Confirmed that they are the same loadings for use as a horizontal truss. What nice people they are at JTE.

the loadings are identical. the fact that the tower truss has extra diagonal bracing only serves to with stand the twisting moment you get when applying loads vertically. It has no bearing on SWL.

I prefer the Thomas Supertruss with the lugs. it I much quicker to rig (bashing a pin in is far quicker than doing up a nut and bolt) and you can get (or have made) all sorts of spacers that allow you to make some interesting shapes. you can even use the tower truss on its side with the lugs acting as a type of hinge. you can create some curves that follow the line of outdoor stage roofs. you have to pick it up in the correct places but we (my current employers) have done some very interesting projects with it.

Supertruss also happens to have one of the highest loading figures compared with other similar sized trusses.

TM

the loadings are identical. the fact that the tower truss has extra diagonal bracing only serves to with stand the twisting moment you get when applying loads vertically. It has no bearing on SWL.

I prefer the Thomas Supertruss with the lugs. it I much quicker to rig (bashing a pin in is far quicker than doing up a nut and bolt) and you can get (or have made) all sorts of spacers that allow you to make some interesting shapes. you can even use the tower truss on its side with the lugs acting as a type of hinge. you can create some curves that follow the line of outdoor stage roofs. you have to pick it up in the correct places but we (my current employers) have done some very interesting projects with it.

Supertruss also happens to have one of the highest loading figures compared with other similar sized trusses.

TM

I am only going to use it in the boring prosc boom or lighting bar arrangement, and it will be staying bolted together mostly. As will the GP20.

Archived